There are newer employer reviews for Northwestern University

Pretends to be a great place to work; I know a lot about it as I've been working there for 10 years.

Current Employee - Business Administrator in Evanston, IL
Current Employee - Business Administrator in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Northwestern University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you work long enough and your children get excepted to NU, you can benefit from the tuition reduction that is generally ridiculously high. It's hard to be fired if you do nothing but say "Hi" and "Bye" to superiors, work 9 to 5, never have any ideas and never contradict those who are in charge. Very political, and politically correct, very bureaucratic, very unfair unless you meet certain "requirements" for staying. Good benefits comparing to other places.

Cons

If you have talents, abilities to create things, if you really care about the students (who very often are prima donna style students), if you have your principles, run away from that place. Salaries suck comparing to other Universities. If you are a staff member, you'll be seriously underpaid. Everyone, no matter who you are, how many years you dedicated to the University is replaceable. The best NU internal joke: "It's like a beautiful girl. Looks good, treats you like sh..." Many top managers don't have enough education to even get the positions of Deans, Associate Deans, Master Degree program directors and if you are more educated than them--guess what? You are fired or they create such an environment for you that you leave. Many professors don't have Master's degree, some of them did not have even Bachelor's degree in the field. Is not that a shame for the University that pretends being part of IVY League? Students complain about those instructors but if they meet University "spirit", they will never publish those complaints. I can go on and on but will add just one thing---some of their best alums will never give University any money--I know that for a fact. The University never became a dear place for them.

Advice to Management

Money can't buy everything. You need to value people who work and study there.

Other Employee Reviews for Northwestern University

It was ok

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northwestern University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of autonomy. Worked alone

Cons

Too much autonomy. Worked alone.

Advice to Management

Care more

Depressing

Former Employee - Program Assistant III in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Program Assistant III in Evanston, IL

I worked at Northwestern University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and great benefits. The work was not at all demanding, and the day always ended at 5 PM.

Cons

Wonderful professors and students but a typically stilted, snail-paced, bureaucratic place to work as an admin.

Advice to Management

I saw a lot of waste in my three years there. Superfluousness. People sitting inactively in positions they were terrible at, just collecting a paycheck. I was appreciative of the fair pay and benefits, but I could have never stayed more than a few years. The only incentive to working there seemed to be a steady paycheck. If there had been better, happier people around me, my experience might have been better.