Novartis Pharmaceuticals

www.pharma.us.novartis.com
There are newer employer reviews for Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Great company, however don't expect to be compensated

Current Employee - Engineering Associate in East Hanover, NJ
Current Employee - Engineering Associate in East Hanover, NJ

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Company has a great repuation and supports the advancement of it's personnel. Benefits are pretty decent.

Cons

Monetary compensation isn't up to par. Starting salaries may be competitive to bring you into the company, however promotions are not readily attained, and annual raises amount to 3 - 4.5 percent, about enough to cover inflation.

Job continuum's for potential salary don't necessarily indicate where your salary will actually fall on the range. In order to work towards a significantly higher salary, it seems that you have to leave the company then get rehired at the appropriate salary band. Internal promotions don't necessarily mean you will earn the same as an external hire. "Pay for performance" is lip service.

Promote from the inside and show them the same respect and compensation you would an external hire.

538 Other Employee Reviews for Novartis Pharmaceuticals (View Most Recent)

Great people - senior leaders must learn to trust them.

Former Employee - Director in East Hanover, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in East Hanover, NJ

I worked at Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Great people work at Novartis. Passionate about healthcare, most of them sincere about making a difference. There are opportunities for career development for those willing to seek them out and stay on top of them, make them happen. Overall work/ life balance could be improved, but I always found Novartis to allow flexible scheduling for employees to tend to family matters.

Cons

From senior leaders on down, people are often reluctant to make a decision, to be accountable, to speak up for what they think is right, to stick their neck out. This starts at the top. Many people are promoted into leadership positions based on their technical / scientific expertise. Some of them are good leaders; however, more often, these technical experts are sorely lacking in leadership skills such as setting a vision, communicating to their people, forming and shaping teams, managing people development. Novartis like many large companies believes it can make up for these leadership deficiencies through "organizational development" -- i.e. teaching leaders to lead. That doesn't usually work. Hire and develop real leaders, and leave the technical experts in charge of technical aspects of the business.

Dan - let your businesses run like global divisions and units -- hands off. Don't run the company like an international group of feudal lands run by Switzerland. ***TRUST*** your leaders and the people working in this good company.

Novartis Sales Force options

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative

I have been working at Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Pros

excellent products and more in the pipeline

Cons

travel, paperwork time, the 10 hours a week doing expenses.

We have to get out of the catering business...we have to become partners for the doctors. Resources. Managed Care must be enabled more...they have to offer more opportunities for healthcare groups to value our products. We drive too much in big states. states should be divided into smaller territories and one rep covers most products for a smaller group of physicians. Then we create relationships with 50 customers who see us often instead of travel time in a car. No one has to determine who the correct Novartis rep is... Might not be necessary in cities, but a rep in a smaller town would have local ties & cover just the local area.

There are newer employer reviews for Novartis Pharmaceuticals