There are newer employer reviews for Novatel Wireless

Great potential for a sweatshop

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People in general are friendly and helpful. Benefits are good, company pays most of health/dental and starts you off with 3 weeks vacation. There is no lack of work.

Cons

There is no lack of work, unfortunately a significant portion is reactive, putting out fires, fixing sometimes in near-emergency mode work done fast and furious, begging to be bug prone. Sad part is that management only encourages this way to assemble products.

Advice to Management

Do better project planning. If one was to use a scale 0-5, 0 being do it, fix it later (after all it has worked for very profitable companies); 5 being fanatic considering all possibilities ahead of time and not getting anything done. NVTL is between 0-1, recommend 2-3.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

My experience at Novatel Wireless started as a wonderful opportunity that led to positive and life-changing events

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Novatel Wireless is a large company with several hundred people, most of us in San Diego, CA. We have very talented individuals working in our engineering and test teams. Our customers are very satisfied with our deep commitment and persevering attention to detail as we have launched - and continue to launch - cutting edge wireless data (mobile broadband) products.

Cons

Novatel Wireless is a publicly traded company. We are 'NVTL' on the NASDAQ. Quarterly earnings is detrimental to our R&D and planning because Wall Street always wants to know that we are going to be reaching new highs next quarter.

Advice to Management

Novatel Wireless is a high-tech team with some great players who have launched killer products, including MiFi. The team can be made even stronger with better leadership and communication. After improving internal communications, allocate more time to strategic marketing and more budget to competitive intelligence / market research. Wireless is a fast changing space and it takes extra effort to stay on top of the latest events and happenings.

Great atmosphere to work with bright people and a place you can call it your home.

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Novatel Wireless

Pros

Fast paced work life with challenging projects available every year. Coworkers are your friends. Activities for everyone to participate for fun. Learning new technology in wireless industry. Great place to start your career.

Cons

Layoffs each year without any notice. Future isn't always bright or visible. Do not have any product plans beyond 2 years. Not much advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Encourage and create a program for employees to add renovations. Use Agile development method to create team oriented project development.