overrated

I worked at Novelis full-time

Pros

beautiful building, good pay, nice part of the city

Cons

managers dont know how to mentor. PTO the worst amongst any company (10days).

Favouritism is too much. Learn how to lead and manage

Other Reviews for Novelis

Needs Major improvement

Current Employee - Production Engineer  in  Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than a year

Pros

A pay check, nice office locations in head quarters. Novelis does business with a wide customer base, and there is still some knowledge left in the plant so it can be good learning

Cons

The work life balance in the company is not good. People on average work up to 60 hours a week without real return or appreciation. Be very careful of some of the reviews on glass door (the very positive tones to me looks like an HR/PR person within the company). I know there is no tuition reimbursement program, as the rules has changed last year. I personally know of a few people doing MBA on their own account (with only the tax purpose 5k max being paid/year) while the bulk is being paid by the individual. I am also aware of middle management capping and in some cases discouraging employee developments.

During interviews, it is worth checking (by talking to individuals outside the direct hiring committee) what are the opportunities, work life balance and career progression as well as the real educational reimbursement policy (and make sure you get a realistic view).
    This is a company that mainly cares about appearances, rather than valuing their individuals, so in a way, people can be criminally under appreciated. There is a "fear" culture across the board at various levels, where people do not voice their opinions honestly because they are afraid of losing their jobs.
    In Oswego, there may be some opportunities, but there is a growing frustration after SAP implementation and in spite of what is being said, it is far from being well in place.
    This is not the place to go if you are looking for advancement or growth or opportunities.
    Be also careful with the corporate culture as it can be toxic sometimes
    There was no bonus this year and the minor salary increase was quite dissatisfying to a lot of people.

Look and check clearly on middle managers and their role Work on valuing your employees (and what is left of talent) and Take a closer look at why do talented people leave across different areas/locations across the board.

Good Place to Work - Excellent Benefits

Current Employee - Mid Level Salaried Employee  in  Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Mid Level Salaried Employee in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Novelis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic Benefits including pay, medical etc, other compensation is excellent as well (bonuses etc); Great group of people - friendly, welcoming, down to earth; breaking through to completely new industry ideas - innovation in market, on site management is good, opportunities for movement and advancement very good; education reimbursement and job training offered, relaxed atmosphere (usually) and very proud employees make this place shine.
    I like my job tasks (for the most part), but the reason I will stay is because the people who work here are generally just great people, and anyone who's ever worked with the opposite knows - it makes ALL the difference.

Cons

Corporate culture is unfortunately reaching a plant that typically was not influenced as much - but with a move into the spotlight and such big plans in the future, I feel this was bound to happen. There have been cuts to some of the benefits that those who worked at Novelis for many years had grown accustomed to, however, what is currently offered is still on target or much better than average offerings locally.

On site management - try to shield your people from the control of Atlanta!
    Atlanta management - trust the employees of Oswego; they have been successful for many years and will do whatever is asked if you just give the a chance.

There are newer employer reviews for Novelis.

Worked for Novelis? Contribute to the Community!