Novell

There are newer employer reviews for Novell

Loving my time...

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Provo, UT
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In the time that I've been with Novell I've found that they offer flexible work hours, a unique and productive office building, consistently challenging work, and a plethora of great talent and associates.

Cons

There are some negative perceptions of the company specifically locally and some of our products are often viewed negatively within the press.

Continue to reward your employees and the production will come

312 Other Employee Reviews for Novell (View Most Recent)

Fun and Flexible

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun working enviroment and lots of great and long lasting friendships. Quite flexible with the schedule and personal life.

Cons

Takes forever to get anything done with the data center and you don't feel appreciated as they do not make counter offers.

Get rid of (insert 3 letter company acronym here) outsourcing disaster and get the employee's back on at Novell so we can get the business running like it should again.

A Change in Culture

Current Employee - Manager in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Since its acquisition by The Attachmate Group, Novell has begun to undergo some important changes in culture. On the positive end of things, there is a stronger focus on Sales and on the customer. Within the Novell Business Unit, the engineering team has new life! Important improvements in products are being released much more regularly.

Cons

But, unfortunately, the new company is also heavily silo'd now and strongly hierarchical. There is much less cooperation between BU's and between departments than there used to be. There is much more defending of turf. Managers and Directors who wish to collaborate for the good of the company generally have to do that under the radar. There is a strong hierarchy in place. It requires position power to communicate effectively between groups. To speak up a level is difficult. Information is held confidentially, often even from the people who need to be doing the work that requires that information. It is a strange dynamic.

Loosen up communication and trust your people. You have a huge store of experience and talent of long-term employees that is being squandered. This is probably the biggest driver of attrition.

There are newer employer reviews for Novell