Novell

Solid place to work

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT
Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

I enjoyed the atmosphere at Novell as much as anything else. There was always a lot of work to be done, but the expectation was not that anybody had to work 24/7. The people at Novell seemed to care about each other, as people.

Cons

The company's long-term health is somewhat in question. If the Linux strategy doesn't work, they'll have gutted long-term profitable products to meet expense targets and be left with a product that ultimately doesn't produce revenue.

Trim away products that make no / little money. The company is spread too thin, and the near-constant layoffs are very much a morale drain. Invest in what makes money and require all divisions of the company to do that.

307 Other Employee Reviews for Novell (View Most Recent)

Work

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Novell has a really good atmosphere and does have some of the best benefits that are available. They are also open about time off and coming in to work at a decent time.

Cons

Novell does not have a very good way of promoting their products, thus customers move on to competitors all the time. The company it's self is constantly shrinking its head count, making everyone nervous that their job is next to get cut.

I enjoy the atmosphere but I would like to know that I have a future in the company. I would also ask management to not micromanage the employees.

Project management work at Novell

Current Employee - Project Manager in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Good benefits
    Excellent facilities, offices rather than cubicles
    Lots of vacation time
    Flexible for telecommuting
    Very strong technology portfolio, just week on execution.

Cons

Uncertain future, the strategy changes so often that the average employee doesn't keep up with it.
    Lots of off-shoring. This makes work schedules erratic, but good if you want work in China or India.

ask yourselves the question, "When we've off-shored the majority of R&D to reduce costs, how do we innovate to create sustainable growth?"

There are newer employer reviews for Novell