Novell
www.novell.com Provo, UT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Wonderful Experience - Provides Exceptional Training and Preparation for Future Career

Student Intern - Hourly (Current Employee)
Provo, UT

Pros1. Training and Exposure: The department that I work in has taken extreme measures to provide me with exposure to many of Novell's business issues. As a business/accounting major, I have found that working at Novell has provided me with a significant amount of relevant experience. Many of my post-graduate-employer interviews have had my experience at Novell as a main discussion point, and often earned me the offer. My managers provide plenty of training and mentoring, while still permitting a loose enough leash to let me venture independently.

2. Public Company in Provo: In the Provo area, it is difficult to find an employer that is large enough to expose you to hot topics and big business issues. Novell provides exactly that. With almost a $1 billion in revenue, Novell has operations all over the world. That background provides valuable perspective.

3. Fair Compensation: For the area, the pay is really great.

4. Awesome Work Environment: The campus Novell is on is really beautiful and very clean. The buildings are well maintained and they offer many great benefits: Free gym membership, decent food/cafeteria, and many other on-site services.

5. Flexibility: My managers have been extremely flexible with my work schedule. I usually just tell them when and they approve it. It is designed more around project needs than an hourly commitment. They also let me take off for 10 weeks to do an internship elsewhere! (with a Big Four Accounting Firm) So they are very flexible and want students to gain a lot of experience for their future careers.

Cons1. Minimum 20 Hours per Week: I only put this here since I can't think of anything else. I work a lot more than that - although my schedule is very flexible. I'm not sure if this applies to other interns in other departments either.

2. No benefits for interns (medical): Not to be expected, but something to be aware of. (We still get paid holidays though!)

3. If you are a college student, Novell is in the southern most part of Provo. So you will need a car or bus pass. Hardly a "Con", but again - something to be aware of.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe grounds are extremely nice. Almost too nice. I just hope that we aren't spending so much money on the campus that we are taking away growth/job opportunities.

Focus less on cost cutting and more on revenue growth. Cost-cutting (which is extremely important) only goes so far. It is great to be profitable again, but I would love to see our revenue taking off. I loved the 100 in 100 campaign. Hopefully it is the first of many good ideas.

Solid place to work

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)
    Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros: I enjoyed the atmosphere at Novell as much as anything else. There was always a lot of work to be done, but… Cons: The company's long-term health is somewhat in question. If the Linux strategy doesn't work, they'll have gutted… Advice to Senior Management: Trim away products that make no / little money. The company is spread too thin, and the near-constant layoffs are… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Work

I have been working at Novell

Pros: Novell has a really good atmosphere and does have some of the best benefits that are available.… Cons: Novell does not have a very good way of promoting their products, thus customers move on to competitors all the time.… Advice to Senior Management: I enjoy the atmosphere but I would like to know that I have a… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Novell.

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!

Novell – Why Work for Us?

Novell, Inc., is a global enterprise software leader, providing solutions that make work environments more productive, secure and manageable. Novell supports thousands of organizations around the world with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Novell CEO Bob Flynn . All reviews posted anonymously by Novell employees.