Sad to See a Former Great Company Go Down the Tubes

Former Employee - Application Engineer in Provo, UT
Former Employee - Application Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, nice co-workers, excellent facilities, bonuses

Cons

The company has a reputation of doing layoffs each year. They are in a downward death spiral that may not bottom out. Working there is pleasant, but you must constantly wonder if you will have a job the next week.

Advice to Management

Stop changing directions every few months. Focus on selling stuff. Stop trying to be "the big player". Novell is no longer a powerhouse.

reviews filtered by
  1. Solid place to work

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell

Pros

I enjoyed the atmosphere at Novell as much as anything else. There was always a lot of work to be done, but the expectation was not that anybody had to work 24/7. The people at Novell seemed to care about each other, as people.

Cons

The company's long-term health is somewhat in question. If the Linux strategy doesn't work, they'll have gutted long-term profitable products to meet expense targets and be left with a product that ultimately doesn't produce revenue.

Advice to Management

Trim away products that make no / little money. The company is spread too thin, and the near-constant layoffs are very much a morale drain. Invest in what makes money and require all divisions of the company to do that.

2. Work

I have been working at Novell

Pros

Novell has a really good atmosphere and does have some of the best benefits that are available. They are also open about time off and coming in to work at a decent time.

Cons

Novell does not have a very good way of promoting their products, thus customers move on to competitors all the time. The company it's self is constantly shrinking its head count, making everyone nervous that their job is next to get cut.

Advice to Management

I enjoy the atmosphere but I would like to know that I have a future in the company. I would also ask management to not micromanage the employees.