There are newer employer reviews for Novellus

Novellus Hanoi

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Novellus

Pros

I am working for NVLS in Hanoi, NVLS is the rare company that do not just do out sourcing. It brings the real business to Hanoi. outstanding! we are paid with net salary (if you are Vietnamese then, what is the NET salary?) that is very fair in Vietnam.

Most of company in Vietnam do the trick that they only pay a small salary (with social insurance) and the rest as the bonus. example, when you hire a person, your negotiate end with 400$ salary. But you paid them 100$ with insurance (about 15$) and 300$ as monthly bonus. the trick DID happen! but NVLS do not do that. the company will pay you 400$ as net salary.

Cons

We are just started. Changes are happening, some good, some bad. bad it the downsides. The most downside is the lack of communication. The GMT time, hanoi is +7, US is -6.

NVLS is the first US company that transfer it's works to Hanoi. it is the first time it has experience with North Vietnamese people. So the employer do not understand people here quite enough. But the time will change it.

respect your employee more. We can easy change job.

92 Other Employee Reviews for Novellus (View Most Recent)

Great engineers, extremely poor and incompetent management.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Novellus

Pros

Excellent co-workers that band together to get the job done in the face of adversity and all-around poor management. The engineers are pushed hard, but are technically sound, hard working, and know how to get the job done.

Excellent benefits package. Great shuttle service between buildings. The usual sabbatical.

Cons

Layoffs, long hours, management that is not qualified or competent. I was actually accused of stealing my own computer by my manager when on an extended leave of absence. There have been too many times when I've had to go stand up in meetings and defend myself and my schedule from attacks from other groups as well as my own manager. When your own manager won't support you, it makes you ask, "who's side are you on?"

Treat your employees with more respect. Promote competent and technically sound managers, not ones who are your friends. Support your engineers, not fight against them to squeeze out more work.

Cheap gets the performance it pays for

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Novellus

Pros

It's a relatively small company and you can be involved in lots of things. So the good part is being close to the decision makers, the bad part is there is so little process in place that you spend your time reinventing the wheel

Cons

They are cheap and there is an inherent distrust of the employees. Just walk around the parking lot and ask yourself when was the last time it was swept or someone came through with a leaf blower. If you get inside, see whether the building is comfortable or whether people have fans and heaters in their cubes

Develop a clear focus and strategy and then execute to that strategy, don't be cheap - invest in the people, their tools and the workplace. You get the performance you pay for.

There are newer employer reviews for Novellus