NuStar Energy

www.nustarenergy.com
  www.nustarenergy.com
There are newer employer reviews for NuStar Energy

Great company to work for. Great to employees and community.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at NuStar Energy as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Company is always trying to improve things for employees and the community. The culture is great. People are very nice. A happy environment.

Cons

Changes are slow. Accounting department works as an outside service, so the communication from that deparment to the others are very bad. HR is slow to process new positions and employees.

Improve communication and accountability in all areas. Improve efficiency in the HR departament. Take more risk to improve growth faster.

24 Other Employee Reviews for NuStar Energy (View Most Recent)

Careful about this one, I would not say they are one of the top 15 employers in the USA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at NuStar Energy

Pros

They tend to hire good people, most of the worker bees are very good.

The 401K and pension is decent, fairly common if you work for an large company, 6% match dollar for dollar.

If you are willing to move you will get advancement

The health benefits are good if you dont get sick a lot , they pay for a high deductable PPO plan no cost to you, but they have other plans which you can contribute to.

Education Benefits are ok.

They are a profitable company

Cons

United Way-They care about your contributions to the United Way more than they do your actual work, at a minimum you will give 1% and if you want promotion opportunities you better give 2% If you don't give you will be talked to by your boss and his boss.

PAC-You are expected to give .5% to the NuStar PAC

Salary and raises are below average for the energy industry-If you like your merit raise to never be above 2-2.5%, this is your company.

Bonuses-They brag about an all employee bonus but if you are not management it is peanuts. The stock options are so low it is almost not even worth mentioning.

Managment-Way too many manager titles, way too many Valero downsized mangers jumping ship and coming to NuStar.

Office Space type culture-You get to wear a tie 4 days a week at the SA HQ.

Good Ole Boy System-If your in the club its a Pro, but if your not which most aren't its a con.

Lower your United Way and PAC thresholds

Revise your bonus scheme to your workers

Reward hard working people with a real raise that is not tied to your UW giving rate.

Once the economy rebounds some, you will see many people leave for greener pastures if no action is taken.

Not a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at NuStar Energy

Pros

Nustar Energy's benefits are some of the best in the industry and their retirement plan is very good as well.

Cons

1. I did not receive a performance evaluation in the entire time I have worked at Nustar Energy. When other people in my department received stock options I did not as I have not had a performance evaluation. I asked my manager about this and he said that he 'forgot', but that he would do one next year.
    2. Work performed is not complimented or acknowledged.
    3. My manager steals credit for projects that I have excelled in performing.
    4. You are told to contribute at least 1% of your salary to United Way. The unspoken word is that if you don't you will not be promotod.

Make sure that every employee has a timely performance evaluation at the company as that seems to be lacking. Try to cut down on the 'good old boy' culture.

There are newer employer reviews for NuStar Energy