NuStar Energy

www.nustarenergy.com
  www.nustarenergy.com
There are newer employer reviews for NuStar Energy

NuStar Energy, A Shinning Star in The Industry.

Current Employee - I/S Specialist in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - I/S Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at NuStar Energy

Pros

Very Professional Atmosphere mixed with relaxed low pressure environment. Employees are trusted, and empowerment is visible through the company. A great sense of pride is visible in every department, great sense of respect from peers and managers. Great pay and benefits, bonus, stock options, it makes a difference when acompany is trying to be the best.

Cons

NuStar is still small company in comparison, but still growing after spin off from Valero, The roots are strong and some employees need to get over the spin off from Valero. Although its nice to volunteer to help others, its seem like it’s a job requirement, If you don’t pledge to volunteer or donate to the United Way, you feel like you job would be at stake.

Share information on salary grade, publish salary ranges. Be more open, Salary ranges/earning potential shouldn’t be a secret.

Don't be so head strong in the volunteer arena, employees feel like it’s a condition of employment, your using your employees to support you own ideals.

25 Other Employee Reviews for NuStar Energy (View Most Recent)

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at NuStar Energy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

of course for it's high salary

Cons

work hard and always work over time

office culture is very hard to live

They say its #15 best company to work for. Do your homework.

I have been working at NuStar Energy

Pros

Great Healthcare benefits! Company pays 100% of monthly premium. 401K match is pretty standard for the energy industry at 6% of pay. Pension is good. This is probably a really good company for back office personnel

Cons

Company insists that all employees contributue to United Way. They do not care if you contribute to other charities. Each employee contribution is tracked and compared with a target contribution level that managment sets forth. If you do not meet the targeted contribution level, you will be having a rather weird conversation with your manager for "not giving enough". While the healthcare and 401K benefits are great, do your homework. The 401K match is pretty standard in the energy industry and the healthcare benefits are probably worth around $5K/year. These benefits do not make up for the extremely low pay. The pension is good, but again, alot of energy companies have them and vest in 3 yrs, not 5. Yearly issue of units (Stock) has dropped 40% in the last 4 years.

Company is extremely top heavy with high level managers(VP's) that do not have anyone working for them. Feel that the company is at an inflection point in its history. We keep selling our pipeline assets (from almost 10,000 miles of pipeline in 2008 to about 5,000 miles today) and increasing our refining assets. Are we a refiner or pipeline and terminal company?

There are newer employer reviews for NuStar Energy