There are newer employer reviews for NuVasive

Buy Completely into the Company Culture ---OR ELSE!

I worked at NuVasive

Pros

Better than average salary (but severely negated by hours of expected work) Nice Facilities and benefits

Cons

At first blush this is an excellent place to work. Great salary and benefits and some nice co-workers . After your first day this facade starts to fall away. First, there is a statue of a Cheetah in the lobby and many flat screen televisions showing the same thing: A Cheetah running at full speed with flames morphing out of its backside. The company creed is "Absolute Responsiveness" and you quickly come to understand that this means ZERO personal life for you. You will be given a blackberry and told you must be "Easy to do biz with." Essentially translating: sleep with your blackberry and answer *any* request/email within 15 minutes..and they *will* come in 24/7. People don't chat in the break rooms, they grab their coffee, mutter a pleasantry and literally speedwalk back to their desks. There is a disturbing current of unmistakable churce silence mixed with a little anxiety in the air. After all, perhaps you aren't working fast enough or hard enough? (---even though you know you are). Most people work 10-11 hour days at the office and then keep on going when they get home. This isn't because they necessarily want to, the fear of not being part of the corporate group-think culture demands it. One person told me that "if you aren't drinking and on anti-depressants, you soon will be.." and I must agree with the assessment. When you interview, you will see many people with dark circles and bags under their eyes. Take note, this means something. Bottom line: If you thrive in a culture-heavy "Orwellian 1984 group -think" environment, this is the place for you! Free thinkers and those who desire a healthy work/life balance - *Should not apply. Period*

Advice to Management

Be exceptionally clear to potential employees what your weekly work time expectations are. Do not expect employees to complete all of your training modules and mandatory training exercises on their own time when they are first and foremost trying to learn their job. Offering a gym on-site is nice, but what is the point if you feel compelled to work through every lunch at your desk and well into the evening?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great Company- going through a lot of changes

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company. The culture is hard to beat and they are very good to their employees.

Cons

Management is going through a lot of changes since our CEO was replaced and the uncertainty and chaos has been a little frustrating for everyone. It's been difficult to transition to another department and/or move up.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate the culture- it's why people stay!

excellent Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I found the that upper management in the quality department truly cared for the well-being and professional success of the individual share owner. They went through great lengths with weekly status meetings to ensure that the worker was on target to succeed.

Cons

The HR department is terribly disfunctional

Advice to Management

Culture is a trickle-down affair

NuVasive Response

Jun 23, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at NUVA. We want to hear the good, bad, and the ugly so we can continue to improve the employment experience. We are sorry to hear that your ... More