There are newer employer reviews for Nuance

Good for my resume, good money but no opportunity to do new things

Current Employee - IVR Designer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - IVR Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My salary was good, and the always gave me a good bonus and increments
Most of my coworkers were nice

Cons

The job was client-based, so depending on the client and the internal team, a projects could be great or very stressful with difficult people
The mergers brought a certain company in and it was very hard to work with their employees.
Once you learn the ropes and are bored, management did not help me explore new avenues

Help your good, bored employess to get something out of their jobs

325 Other Employee Reviews for Nuance (View Most Recent)

Bad management and a very political environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A leader in a relatively stable market sector. Has some good technologies - especially in the speech recognition area. Allows for remote workers.

Cons

A very political office environment. Some departments are run by a few incompetent managers who are in their positions just because they are a part of the “in-crowd”. Good work seldomly get rewarded, but, if you are part of the in-crowd, you can pretty much do no wrongs. It is a highly stressful environment both in terms of the atmosphere and the workload. There is no work/life balance.

Pay attention to what some of your managers are doing. These deadwoods will sing some pretty songs, but they contribute nothing to innovation or the company's growth. In fact, they are killing employee motivation and driving good people away.

Profits and politics are more important than the employees

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*Very good benefits package
    *Very good salary
    *Enjoyed working with my small team
    *My manager was very fair and efficient

Cons

*Absolutely NO work/life balance - 60+ hour work weeks are the expected norm, as well as working weekends very frequenty
    *Regular layoffs, usually once per quarter, some of which are driven by performance, but many of which are driven by politics
    *Company values profits and shareholders over the employees that make the company successful
    *Very little opportunity for professional growth for those outside the favorable political circle
    *High stress environment

Realize that your "growth by hostile takeover" methodology is flawed! Also, treat your employees better, because they are what makes your company so successful. Remove the looming threat of layoffs every quarter - growth at the expense of talented individuals is why this company has such a horrible reputation in the market.

There are newer employer reviews for Nuance