Top-down management company, not seeing career development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlington, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time

Pros

Exciting technology, some smart people to work with, open communication with management team

Cons

No work-life balance; limited time to think about development because you are too busy; managers know about workload issue and would like to help but have no immediate budget to hire; management team appreciates your contribution, but the compensation is not as good as outside

Need to solve brand confusion, be supportive to hard-working folks and allocate the resources reasonably, try to keep great people stay with the company

Other Reviews for Nuance

great if you want to work from remote, not so good if you want a career

Current Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Largo, FL

I have been working at Nuance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company doesn't mind remote working. I am living close to one of their major hubs but very rarely come to the office which helps with work-life-balance. I had about 4 roles with the company and never was I micro managed. The closest supervision I had was where I needed to fill out weekly status sheets. That's that. In the roles I had I have yet to find a really dumb person. The people at the working level are generally smart and friendly.

Cons

There is no career perspective and rewards are seldom issued. Compensation is sub market.
    I did several jobs here. Before my current role I straddled so many tasks that they ultimately needed to hire 3 people to backfill. Conversely I had months where I produced very little. It doesn't matter either way. You neither get acknowledged for the hard work nor punished for doing little. The company just doesn't care either way. If you want to make career you need to align yourself with distinct circles within the company. This is way more important than having ideas or working hard. [ I have no experienced in the medical division - they may be different]. If you want a day job than this is a good company. If you want to move something, get recognized and have a say...not so.

reward employees for what they do

Some great people in the firm and some cool products but...

Former Employee - Manager  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than a year

Pros

At the mid level and even at the layer below the exec level there are some really great folks. Hard working, friendly and approachable. They have several products that are very cool and very cutting edge -- so working there from a technology standpoint may be different than working there as a non-tech person. There is a small, clean gym on site and a pretty good cafeteria.

Cons

Historically there has been a lot of turnover either voluntary or involuntary in many of the departments. If you are interviewing with them ask what their attrition rate is for their group. Also be wary of the CEO. He has a reputation of ruling by humiliation and of being very difficult to deal with. The rest of the exec team seems fine.

There are newer employer reviews for Nuance.

Worked for Nuance? Contribute to the Community!