Nuance

www.nuance.com
  www.nuance.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nuance

You've got to be kidding me.

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Burlington, MA
Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, interesting technology.

Cons

Pretty much every aspect of this company. This company is layers of schizophrenic management and products, combined with a toxic atmosphere shame/fear based 'culture' that will have you walking on eggshells and looking over your shoulder 24/7. Fear-mongering, cruelty, insanity, chaos, dishonor and disrespect (backstabbing) are the norm. Prepare to be humiliated or shamed almost every day by your manager, even when you do something correctly.

I've been in the business for almost a decade, and I've never seen a place run like this. Nothing makes sense at this place. No organization, no communication, no clear goals, I don't even understand one single product we own or sell. Everything seems on the 'inside', which means unless you 'know someone', you will never really learn anything or get anywhere in this company. The only consistent part of your work schedule is the fun 'newsletter' emails once in a while reminding you how 'bad the current economy/business situation is' which is business speak for 'sorry, no raise'.

If you're an engineer or developer, prepare for pure frustration. Horribly outdated tools running on sub-par hardware at your disposal. You're going to burn yourself out real quick trying to produce anything useful on the systems you're provided. Desktops and workstations that are a decade or more old are your mainstay development or production machine. Oh, and be prepared to get yelled at because you didn't deliver by yesterday. Your fault.

There's also this 'big data' part of the company that has recently reared its ugly head. This is mostly likely going to put the nail in the coffin when they blow out all the funds on this mismanaged disaster. It's a fashionable attempt to create a 'big data storage facility' with database driven internals similar to your large scale Amazon/Google clusters and such. Nice try keeping up with the cool kids.

Out of touch CEO, employees who act like and are treated like stepchildren. Absolutely bizarre behavior on every level. All interaction is surface and quirky. Don't use words like 'hello' or 'good morning' or prepare to have your face chewed off. Zero accountability on every level. Remarkably low professionalism.

I used to love working here at first, but then the illusion eventually faded and I sadly realized that I'm just slogging away in a slave pit for a Google/Apple wanna-be with a CEO who apparently makes millions from our efforts, though how this is actually achieved is still a mystery.

Only come here if you want to flush your career and life down the toilet. You'll never see the light of day or your family. Management isn't looking out for you, in fact, no one will be looking out for you.

Don't work here. If you do still work here, I suggest you cut tail and run like your pants are on fire.

Upper management won't read this, and even if they do, they don't care what you or I or the regular employee think.

The only thing I could possibly add is maybe trim the entire workforce down to a few hundred well-trained people. This would include management, sales, engineers. Get back to basics and become a solid technology company with stand-alone products that shine. Have some integrity and stop playing the shell game buying up other smaller companies and treating your current employees so poorly.

I know some of the people who actually innovate on the inside and you are totally missing the boat with their talent. They would make this company shine. You're making some huge mistakes.

Present day, this company doesn't stand a chance no matter how many other little companies they try to gobble up.

345 Other Employee Reviews for Nuance (View Most Recent)

Unlimited opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Nuance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth, challenging environment and most of all.....the people!!! The company is growing rapidly and they are making good business decisions to keep up the business support in place to accommodate the growth. You can't move forward if you have old processes and are resistant to streamlining processes....you will only end up going backward in the long run. The people genuinely love their job. Pay is comparable to market/area.

Cons

Lots of work but just gotta be ready!! Thanking God for the opportunity....I'm up for the challenge!

Keep listening to the employees.....you'll only keep them on your side.....and remember...you need them!

This is a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting cutting edge technology. It has been very stable. with many growth opportunities. Training is available to keep current in both the technical world and the business word. The ability to work remotely allows for a self motivated person to really flourish. It is a mid to large company with the personal management feel of a small company. You do get to know your managers and your team. This allows you to realize the impact you have on the company even though you may work from a remote location.

Cons

I have no complaints after working here for more then 10 years

Keep leading the way.