Nucor

www.nucor.com
  www.nucor.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nucor

Great for the bills, horrible on moral.

Former Employee - Crane Operator in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Crane Operator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nucor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pays well for most positions

Cons

Most managers and supervisors there in seattle hold old culture (good ol day mills) , not real Nucor culture that I've read or been talked about from other visiting Nucor EE's. A couple of managers there need to retire or be evaluated for a forced retirement. I had been employed with the company for almost 5 years. Within that time I had nothing but a clean track record and provided them with top notch work you'd expect from a high paying employer. I see a new wave of employees moving in that make me believe on day they'll be caught up with the rest of corporation, wich is a some what of a relieving perception I guess. I wish corporate would listen and react accordingly to there mandatory employee surveys we fill out annually, I personally believe it make a great difference within. They will pound safety in your head but at the same time throw you in situations that are highly hazardous to your health and well being just to turn there back and hope for the best. Ask anyone employed within the shipping department on how dangerous there scrap problem was and is. Thousands of tons of scrap intertwined with finished product and common walk ways ( not designated for this purpose ). It hasnt always been a problem, its just had managements blind eye turned from the issue because it became out of control within the last few years. The managers that hold true concern lie frustrated and concerned but than again are out numbered in Seattle. Its really sad to me cause I left a place I may have been able to stick around and help change things. Seattle has great potential and I see that. I met many great people I will always stay in contact with forever. The straw that broke the camels back for me was being denied a job within for purposes that were bias. Had nothing to do with my work ethic. I was the only person who submitted a bid on the job and my bid sheet went straight in the garbage with no consideration. Be careful when applying. Most people dont mind working around some of there fixable safety issues. The proof is in the pudding, I left a job that payed me 80k a year with no back up plan. Money became less important to me, I was loosing my mind seeing all of there neglect. Its a game of favorites within Seattles walls and not all favorites have pure intentions. If your in a position to relocate I highly recommend applying with Nucor, Just not Seattle.

my only major regret is leaving without trying to contribute to a more positive changes and to stand up for what is right. Then again I still have whats most important to me, a kind, loving, and understanding family whom stand up and support my decision.

Id highly advise corporate to hire qualified EE's from other mills to take over more rolls within Seattles team. We seemed to have brought in some special people whom do indeed hold true Nucor culture. We need real team leaders not problem dodgers, and paycheck chasers.

57 Other Employee Reviews for Nucor (View Most Recent)

Safe and productive Steel Mill

Current Employee - Engineering in Maryville, MO
    Current Employee - Engineering in Maryville, MO

I have been working at Nucor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and down to earth business attitude.

Cons

Low pay and very long hours

I enjoyed working for Nucor most days, but I hated it some days. Glad to have moved on.

Former Employee - Hot Mill Utility Man in Blytheville, AR
    Former Employee - Hot Mill Utility Man in Blytheville, AR

I worked at Nucor

Pros

Nucor is a great place when steel prices are high and production is good. To move up you have to work a lot of overtime, but the money is good. No union which is great.

Cons

Be careful. It can be dangerous.

Make sure your supervisors are not "yes" men and that they will stand up for their crews. You should offer some financial advice to your employees. I knew a supervisor who made six figures and lived paycheck to pay check. Very sad to see.

There are newer employer reviews for Nucor