Nucor

www.nucor.com
  www.nucor.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nucor

Good pay but your life belongs to Nucor.

Current Employee - Production in Brigham City, UT
Current Employee - Production in Brigham City, UT

I have been working at Nucor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay ,Profit Sharing, Dependent Tuition,

Cons

med insur. is per dependent (no cap) ,

57 Other Employee Reviews for Nucor (View Most Recent)

Great pay, egregious compulsory overtime, and very low employee moral

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Decatur, AL
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Decatur, AL

I worked at Nucor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, and some very bright people to learn from and work with.

Cons

Ridiculous overtime requirements, poor management. This particular business unit of Nucor strayed very far from Ken Iversons' original philosophy. Gestapo supervision and management techniques. The place sickened me.

Start firing managers, and stop firing and demoting the good supervisors. The place has gone to hell in a hurry.

Great for the bills, horrible on moral.

Former Employee - Crane Operator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Crane Operator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nucor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pays well for most positions

Cons

Most managers and supervisors there in seattle hold old culture (good ol day mills) , not real Nucor culture that I've read or been talked about from other visiting Nucor EE's. A couple of managers there need to retire or be evaluated for a forced retirement. I had been employed with the company for almost 5 years. Within that time I had nothing but a clean track record and provided them with top notch work you'd expect from a high paying employer. I see a new wave of employees moving in that make me believe on day they'll be caught up with the rest of corporation, wich is a some what of a relieving perception I guess. I wish corporate would listen and react accordingly to there mandatory employee surveys we fill out annually, I personally believe it make a great difference within. They will pound safety in your head but at the same time throw you in situations that are highly hazardous to your health and well being just to turn there back and hope for the best. Ask anyone employed within the shipping department on how dangerous there scrap problem was and is. Thousands of tons of scrap intertwined with finished product and common walk ways ( not designated for this purpose ). It hasnt always been a problem, its just had managements blind eye turned from the issue because it became out of control within the last few years. The managers that hold true concern lie frustrated and concerned but than again are out numbered in Seattle. Its really sad to me cause I left a place I may have been able to stick around and help change things. Seattle has great potential and I see that. I met many great people I will always stay in contact with forever. The straw that broke the camels back for me was being denied a job within for purposes that were bias. Had nothing to do with my work ethic. I was the only person who submitted a bid on the job and my bid sheet went straight in the garbage with no consideration. Be careful when applying. Most people dont mind working around some of there fixable safety issues. The proof is in the pudding, I left a job that payed me 80k a year with no back up plan. Money became less important to me, I was loosing my mind seeing all of there neglect. Its a game of favorites within Seattles walls and not all favorites have pure intentions. If your in a position to relocate I highly recommend applying with Nucor, Just not Seattle.

my only major regret is leaving without trying to contribute to a more positive changes and to stand up for what is right. Then again I still have whats most important to me, a kind, loving, and understanding family whom stand up and support my decision.

Id highly advise corporate to hire qualified EE's from other mills to take over more rolls within Seattles team. We seemed to have brought in some special people whom do indeed hold true Nucor culture. We need real team leaders not problem dodgers, and paycheck chasers.

There are newer employer reviews for Nucor