There are newer employer reviews for O'Reilly Auto Parts

Retail Service Specialist in Tulsa

Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Tulsa, OK
Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to be promoted if you can kiss ass. Also, it helps if you can be lazy. I have never seen a company that is so unorganized in my life. They strive to be the dominant auto parts supplier in their district and they have a LONG way to go. Also the health benefits are not good, and they cant seem to figure out why their sales keep going down. Its because their employees do not give them a good reputation! Management system is horrible. I am viewed as an assistant manager only when the assistant manager is not there, and there are some employees that are given all the responsibilities of an assistant manager but paid as a RSS.

Cons

Salary is not good at all. Even at the store manager level. If you have a problem with another employee, you will be told to keep your mouth shut and to ignore them. Its like they have forgotten that this is the real world and they think this is elementary school and if they ignore their problems it will go away. Pay is just a bit over minimum. They do not work with your hours at all. If you have time off, very rarely are you even allowed to use it. Dont make the same mistake that I did. Save yourself the hassle and dont even bother filling out the application for this place.

Learn how to manage your team, Learn time management and maybe corporate should offer free classes for anger management. Learn how to listen and communicate with your employees better. If someone has a complaint that is valid, please take care of it. Dont push it aside and hope that it will go away.

348 Other Employee Reviews for O'Reilly Auto Parts (View Most Recent)

55 years, still a long way to go.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

O'Reilly's is a tenured and still-growing company, always guaranteed income. Fortune 500 company with a small town mentality. Close drive from home. Co-workers are usually pleasant across the board in any department or store location. Never a lack of things to do.

Cons

Technologically seems to be stuck in the stone ages. Technology is advancing and passing us right by; for example, a large number of stores are without so much as a fax machine, when every store by now should have a digital scanner. There is no reason that salaried team members should not have remote log-in access from home in case of inclement weather, illness, or after-hours work opportunities.

Lack of communication, for whatever reason, occurs in several departments. When updates or improvements are made to policies and procedures (which happens only after we've gotten in trouble legally about something, not when we've caught it the first ten times) there is hardly ever an announcement regarding it unless it's good news, so we must rely on rumor to get us by.

Turnover is an issue, on top of the fact that they feel we do not need to replace those that leave the company, which causes an expectation of everyone else to take on more duties and responsibilities. Acquiring more stores (400 or more this winter) apparently does not warrant an increase in corporate office jobs to help with the work load.

Pay is minimal. They pay just enough to get a person in the door, not enough to keep them there. Several in a particular department have not received raises in at least two years. A 1% raise is apparently standard. Hard work and striving to improve yourself and the company does not pay off, unfortunately. You're better off fluffing egos if you want more pay.

Be aware that reputation of the company's poor management skills (in multiple departments) has spread to other companies' departmental counterparts.

Take a calculated step in the right direction, invest your income in advancing your company's technology and employee base before you spend that money on acquiring more stores, paying for popcorn Fridays, and rewarding yourselves for sitting on top of the mountain. Your employees will be much more inclined to stick around if they're listened to, paid more appropriately, kept in the loop about things, and given better tools to do their jobs.

Many aspects of O'Reilly's are great; Unfortunately the stress & pressure are unbelievable!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a growing company with opportunity for advancement. Compensation is fair with benefits at or above average for the auto parts field.

Cons

Store managers don't work the 55 hour workweek as is promised; I currently work 70-75 hours a week and there is no end in sight. My District Manager has unrealistic expectations and comes down hard on all managers and doesn't allow any time off (earned vacation, etc) saying your job must come before your family, your health, above everything!

If District and Regional Management was policed and not allowed to overwork, threaten, and generally abuse store managers, it would be a great place to work. I can't believe that VPs or RVP's are aware of this kind of abuse at the district level and wish they would put a stop to it.

There are newer employer reviews for O'Reilly Auto Parts