There are newer employer reviews for O'Reilly Auto Parts

Retail Service Specialist in Tulsa

Current Employee - Parts Specialist  in  Tulsa, OK
Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to be promoted if you can kiss ass. Also, it helps if you can be lazy. I have never seen a company that is so unorganized in my life. They strive to be the dominant auto parts supplier in their district and they have a LONG way to go. Also the health benefits are not good, and they cant seem to figure out why their sales keep going down. Its because their employees do not give them a good reputation! Management system is horrible. I am viewed as an assistant manager only when the assistant manager is not there, and there are some employees that are given all the responsibilities of an assistant manager but paid as a RSS.

Cons

Salary is not good at all. Even at the store manager level. If you have a problem with another employee, you will be told to keep your mouth shut and to ignore them. Its like they have forgotten that this is the real world and they think this is elementary school and if they ignore their problems it will go away. Pay is just a bit over minimum. They do not work with your hours at all. If you have time off, very rarely are you even allowed to use it. Dont make the same mistake that I did. Save yourself the hassle and dont even bother filling out the application for this place.

Learn how to manage your team, Learn time management and maybe corporate should offer free classes for anger management. Learn how to listen and communicate with your employees better. If someone has a complaint that is valid, please take care of it. Dont push it aside and hope that it will go away.

335 Other Employee Reviews for O'Reilly Auto Parts (View Most Recent)

started off with a bang then lost all faith

Former Employee - Retail Sales Specialist  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Specialist in Charleston, SC

I worked at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours are great, flexible shifts, does not force up-sale limits,

Cons

Mangers and District managers lack communication skills, show favoritism and if they don't like you force you out of the company. If you like to kiss butt you will go far and wide, but if not you might make it to a year. No drug testing creates a huge environmental problem until something happens. I have worked with several mangers drunk or high. No ability to grow with company. No respect for those under the management team, no appreciation, and the bonus is a joke, if its called commission, its pennies. To much turnover, alot of internal theft and Managers are never in the stores when they should be. Lack of communication between upper corporate and management.

If you want people to stay, treat them with respect, make them feel appreciated, listen to what is being said, investigate when something has been told, drug test, you might be surprised on who is doing what. there is way to much favoritism, lack of respect , and those who don't fit your culture make all the big bucks and treat others unfair. District mangers who come from competition want only their following to work for them, you are willing to let the best qualified people go. Corporate needs to review and visit stores with anonymous ways to let people know whats going on in the stores.

55 years, still a long way to go.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at O'Reilly Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

O'Reilly's is a tenured and still-growing company, always guaranteed income. Fortune 500 company with a small town mentality. Close drive from home. Co-workers are usually pleasant across the board in any department or store location. Never a lack of things to do.

Cons

Technologically seems to be stuck in the stone ages. Technology is advancing and passing us right by; for example, a large number of stores are without so much as a fax machine, when every store by now should have a digital scanner. There is no reason that salaried team members should not have remote log-in access from home in case of inclement weather, illness, or after-hours work opportunities.

Lack of communication, for whatever reason, occurs in several departments. When updates or improvements are made to policies and procedures (which happens only after we've gotten in trouble legally about something, not when we've caught it the first ten times) there is hardly ever an announcement regarding it unless it's good news, so we must rely on rumor to get us by.

Turnover is an issue, on top of the fact that they feel we do not need to replace those that leave the company, which causes an expectation of everyone else to take on more duties and responsibilities. Acquiring more stores (400 or more this winter) apparently does not warrant an increase in corporate office jobs to help with the work load.

Pay is minimal. They pay just enough to get a person in the door, not enough to keep them there. Several in a particular department have not received raises in at least two years. A 1% raise is apparently standard. Hard work and striving to improve yourself and the company does not pay off, unfortunately. You're better off fluffing egos if you want more pay.

Be aware that reputation of the company's poor management skills (in multiple departments) has spread to other companies' departmental counterparts.

Take a calculated step in the right direction, invest your income in advancing your company's technology and employee base before you spend that money on acquiring more stores, paying for popcorn Fridays, and rewarding yourselves for sitting on top of the mountain. Your employees will be much more inclined to stick around if they're listened to, paid more appropriately, kept in the loop about things, and given better tools to do their jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for O'Reilly Auto Parts

Worked for O'Reilly Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!