O'Reilly Media

www.oreilly.com

I'm taken care of and there's a world of meaningful work and possibilities laid out in front of me.

Community Manager (Current Employee) Sebastopol, CA

ProsI feel like my work matters to the rest of the organization and the world at large. Having worked for myself most of my life, this visceral sense of "making a difference" is important to me. And while there are systems and structures to abide, O'Reilly seems to hire more for character than for talent which means that people are often promoted from within, or shifted around based on their skills as the company evolves.

Benefits are great - I expected a probation period and weak coverage, so imagine my delight and surprise when there was no probation and the coverage was solid! Oh, and great policies surrounding vacation and telecommuting.

ConsCompensation is good, but not the best. It's a trade I was happy to make! If there's one very real complaint I have it's this: a persistent attitude that, having tried something once before, it's not worth doing it again.

Happily, the company is one of free dialog and is increasingly data-driven - so few if any illusions survive for very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an ecosystem approach to talent development. Investing back into the local community will pay dividends, though it's not easily quantified up front. We may be an international company, but we do not live in a post-geography world.

A wealth of amazing talent and ideas at ORM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sebastopol, CA

I worked at O'Reilly Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Had the great opportunity to work alongside some of the smartest, most talented people I've ever met. Very conscious of accommodating work-life balance. Ideas are… Cons: Size of company can sometimes lend itself to too many cooks in the kitchen and a bloated bureaucratic way of dealing with… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Culture is too conservative

Web Developer (Current Employee) Sebastopol, CA

I have been working at O'Reilly Media full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great benefits, nice people, free books, Tim O'Reilly Cons: Low salaries (for web developers at least) and the culture doesn't match the norm for modern Bay Area tech companies (change is slow and too… Advice to Senior Management: Apply the amazing info that's in O'Reilly books to the company, particularly the lean startup method, and modern web… More
There are newer reviews on O'Reilly Media.

Worked for O'Reilly Media? Contribute to the Community!