There are newer employer reviews for OANDA

Awesome job out of college, but not more

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at OANDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending which team you join, you'll learn a lot. Culture under Michael Stumm used to be awesome. But I hear it is changing now.

Cons

Unless you do something really extraordinary, like have a smoke break with management, there is really no way to grow. Many people feel unappreciated despite putting long hours to execute the company vision. Thus getting recognition and raise is almost impossible.

In technology business, your staff is your biggest asset. There are a lot of smart people in OANDA don't treat them like they are stupid.

24 Other Employee Reviews for OANDA (View Most Recent)

Extremely disorganized

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OANDA full-time

Pros

It was great under Michael Stumm. Flat structure and work used to get done quickly and efficiently. Free lunch once a week.

Cons

We have a new CEO and he's ok so far. K Duker is still hanging around after the transition period and no one knows what he is doing even though he dishes out work and chimes in once in a while on emails. Also not sure what the interim CFO is up to as he is getting most of his buddies involved with the company. A lot of the employees are disengaged and there are no clear steps that will be taken to achieve the unrealistic task of doubling revenue this year.

It is great to set high goals but please let the employees know how these goals will be achieved. At this point, an IPO is nothing but wishful thinking.

A good company gone bad

I worked at OANDA full-time

Pros

Good environment and friendly people. If there is one team that I would recommend joining, it would be the mobile team. It's awesome participating in hackathons and other social events. Free lunches twice a week.

Cons

There are more managers, Directors and VPs on a project than actual developers who can do the work. I hear the company went from a very flat structure to another extreme. I also can't say people are passionate about their work. It seems many are there to do their day-to-day job without putting in any extra effort. Good luck dealing with HR, it's all about pleasing the agencies. I see lots of pain and transformation for this company if it has any chance of succeeding.

The targets for the year are unreal and everyone knows that. Sr. Management has not explained how is it even possible to achieve them for two years in a row. Get some good recruiters and stop using agencies and contractors. There is no culture of transparency at all.

There are newer employer reviews for OANDA