OCLC
www.oclc.org Dublin, OH 1000 to 5000 Employees

OCLC is managed well, but not in a way that makes sense to me.

Product Manager (Current Employee)
Dublin, OH

ProsI love the opportunities afforded to me to expand into different roles. I've had 3 completely different jobs throughout my employment and I look forward to being able to move into other areas as well. I feel like I am able to direct my job into being what I want it to be.

ConsIf you're good, you're busy. This is a company that doesn't understand that there is a limit to the amount of responsibility one person can handle. I could do only half the things I'm doing and still struggle to do a good job at each. Sometimes it can feel like there is so much on your shoulders that you're failing at everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is hugely important and somewhat lacking. There is urgency at the highest levels, but that doesn't filter down to the entire company. More important, however, is actually listening and changing problematic situations when things arise. There is a lot of putting out fires, but very little fireproofing going on. This goes up to the highest levels. Each manager is willing to listen and try to help, but ultimately the highest levels of management have chosen that they want to operate this way. If I tell you I am failing, I expect a permanent solution, not a bandaid.

A safe, long-term investment

Web Services Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

I have been working at OCLC

Pros: Good communication from senior management. Flexible & reasonable work… Cons: Product line is hard to get excited about. No… Advice to Senior Management: Continue to be proactive in keeping the worker base informed and connected. Treat… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Nice people, good work... a little political.

Content Manager (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

I worked at OCLC

Pros: If you are interested in a long career with libraries, this is a great place to network with librarians around the… Cons: It can be political and hierarchical. As with most organizations, there are good managers and bad managers. Ask around about who the person… Advice to Senior Management: You have a group of dedicated individuals working for you. Make sure that they know that… More
There are newer reviews on OCLC.

Worked for OCLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OCLC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OCLC CEO David "Skip" Prichard. All reviews posted anonymously by OCLC employees.