There are newer employer reviews for OCLC

OCLC is managed well, but not in a way that makes sense to me.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Dublin, OH
Current Employee - Product Manager in Dublin, OH

I have been working at OCLC

Pros

I love the opportunities afforded to me to expand into different roles. I've had 3 completely different jobs throughout my employment and I look forward to being able to move into other areas as well. I feel like I am able to direct my job into being what I want it to be.

Cons

If you're good, you're busy. This is a company that doesn't understand that there is a limit to the amount of responsibility one person can handle. I could do only half the things I'm doing and still struggle to do a good job at each. Sometimes it can feel like there is so much on your shoulders that you're failing at everything.

Advice to Management

Communication is hugely important and somewhat lacking. There is urgency at the highest levels, but that doesn't filter down to the entire company. More important, however, is actually listening and changing problematic situations when things arise. There is a lot of putting out fires, but very little fireproofing going on. This goes up to the highest levels. Each manager is willing to listen and try to help, but ultimately the highest levels of management have chosen that they want to operate this way. If I tell you I am failing, I expect a permanent solution, not a bandaid.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A safe, long-term investment

Current Employee - Web Services Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Web Services Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OCLC

Pros

Good communication from senior management. Flexible & reasonable work schedule. Respect.

Cons

Product line is hard to get excited about. No indication of career advancement opportunities within the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to be proactive in keeping the worker base informed and connected. Treat workers with respect and they're less likely to jump ship when the economy turns around.

Nice people, good work... a little political.

Former Employee - Content Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Content Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at OCLC

Pros

If you are interested in a long career with libraries, this is a great place to network with librarians around the world. For the most part, the people that work at OCLC are nice, dedicated, hard working individuals doing meaningful work.

Cons

It can be political and hierarchical. As with most organizations, there are good managers and bad managers. Ask around about who the person you will be working for and general political nature of your department. OCLC is based in Dublin, Ohio. If you are in a branch office, be sure to review the complete compensation package. The compensation for "branch" offices has not always been competetive.

Advice to Management

You have a group of dedicated individuals working for you. Make sure that they know that they are appreciated - with words and with compensation. A little appreciation can go a long way.