There are newer employer reviews for OHSU

Lack of organization and leadership

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Portland, OR
Current Employee - Marketing in Portland, OR

I have been working at OHSU full-time for more than a year

Pros

• OHSU has a great reputation in the Portland area (for the most part), so finding a similar job at another institution will be easier
• Great medical benefits
• Great work/life balance
• My department was very flexible with work times (can come in whenever and leave 8 hours later)
• Actual job duties were fun and challenging

Cons

• Since OHSU is the largest employer in Portland (with nearly 14,000 employees) it is difficult to keep the company organized
• Everyone wants to seem important. Higher education is heavily coveted
• Low pay compared to similar positions at other companies/institutions
• High turnover
• Minimal/no space for advancement
• Minimal respect for your co workers. I can't count how many meetings I've been to where people literally scream at one another. Unprofessional and creates a tense working environment
• An incredible amount of gossiping amongst workers. Creates an unfriendly and distrusting office environment
• Management is constantly changing and there is no direction or order. Makes it difficult to perform your tasks efficiently
• Parking is ridiculous. Parking outside my building is $180 a month
• Not a good place to work if you are uncomfortable with animal testing

• Value current employees
• Keep a positive, organized work environment for your employees

139 Other Employee Reviews for OHSU (View Most Recent)

A mess

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at OHSU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The tram is pretty and fun.

Cons

Management is less than stellar. Impossible to advance.

Wear many hats and herd many cats

I have been working at OHSU

Pros

First, it's hard to make sweeping statements about a place that has hundreds of departments and 14K employees, but I'll try. There are many really good people working here (and a sociopath or two). Near downtown. It feels good to work in health care. I've worked in several departments and have had good managers in almost every job. I've worked on interesting problems, and have felt fairly secure - the union helps with that.

Cons

In some areas, the culture can tend toward "cover your tookus and protect your job," instead of "let's see what awesome things we can do when we work together as a team." Over time, this can give people a glazed look. Ultimately, I think that is a leadership problem, and there might be changes coming, slowly. There is no career ladder, you must make your own - the culture tends to hire outside people rather than promote internal folks. As with any academic health center, it is challenging to get everyone moving in the same direction.

Keep looking outside and emulating best practices - keep moving forward. Invest in infrastructure. Save money by tightening objectives, not by skimping on salaries and raises. Base goals and strategies on data, not on the status quo or some influential person's gut feeling. Spend money on people who want to collaborate. Hire managers who value collaboration.

There are newer employer reviews for OHSU

Worked for OHSU? Contribute to the Community!