OMSI

www.omsi.edu
There are newer employer reviews for OMSI

Depends on department

I worked at OMSI

Pros

- Good, fun atmosphere
- Great people, effective at what they do
- Rewarding work
- Free entrance to museum

Cons

- Job security depends on economy. Lots of layoffs over the past couple years, but the ship seems to be righting itself as the economy gets better.
- Some politics depending on your department.

You did what you had to to survive the recession. Listen to the customers better and OMSI's future will be bright.

10 Other Employee Reviews for OMSI (View Most Recent)

Working in a world of wonder and whimsy

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at OMSI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working with a group of dedicated, ultra-intelligent people with BIG ideas and, for the most part, the resources to implement those ideas.

Cons

Financially, OMSI has it tough. Therefore job security is not really known here. Lay offs are frequent and deep.

Keep up the good work. Keep fighting for every dollar. Someday, we will reach more stable financial footing.

Shining people, dull work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OMSI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Even on the worst days I went home knowing that my job contributed something good and valuable to the world - education around STEM topics. By and large the staff is comprised of smart and caring people. There was a good work/life balance. It was nice to work at such a venerated Portland institution.

Cons

Extremely inefficient and prone to naval-gazing. A culture of self-congratulation rather than honest, self-reflection. Resources (time and money) were often squandered on work/thinking that would never be visible or edifying to the public's experience. Excessive layering of management and bureaucracy slowed project development to a crawl. Severely lacking in innovation, often having new ideas fall victim to the attitude of, "this is how we've always done it," or "that'll never work." Slaves to a project development process that showed poor results. Sometimes seemed allergic to fun and wonder.

Enable your staff to get things done. Peel away a few layers of bureaucracy. Remove the roadblocks that eat up time and energy. Be slow to say, "no" to new ideas. Listen harder. Take ACTION on critical feedback. Make the public's experience the highest priority of any project. Use critical thinking in project evaluation. Seek input from people who do NOT visit OMSI. Ask yourself if your work excites you - if it isn't exciting to you, then the public won't be excited either. Less talk, more rock. Pump up the fun. Invite wonder back into your halls.

There are newer employer reviews for OMSI