There are newer employer reviews for ON Search Partners

Overpromise and under deliver severely

Former Employee - Recruiter in Solon, OH
Former Employee - Recruiter in Solon, OH

I worked at ON Search Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the employees are pleasant. Many people pour their heart into satisfying the Partners / clients. Partners personalities vary greatly as well as expectations and how they want to run their searches. Some have a lot of knowledge and a willingness to teach / train. Their training is intense but very short. I learned a lot about executive recruiting. Christmas Party was great. Health Benefits are very fair, though prices were set to increase in 2013. They are focused on growth and climbing up compared to their competitors.

Cons

The hours are expected at 12+ hour days but to be available 24/7. They claim they spent their careers working long hours and demand it in their employees. They assume if you aren't stressed to the max, you need more work. If aren't working weekend, you need more work. The training was abrupt without any time to ask questions. The company has basic documents, but no unified structure on how to do things. Changes from Partner to Partner and by mood. Some a very mean and overbearing. Others are rational people. Management are bullies with egos, I've seen and heard them make junior employees cry. They are also the most moody guys I've ever met. They don't like anyone to challenge or question them and will intimidate and threaten you behind closed doors. Advancement is impossible if you get on the "bad side" of senior management. They flaunt their wealth while paying very low bases and having a tepid commission structure.

Advice to Management

Don't claim you will be making 6-figures shortly if you structure it to be nearly impossible. Be honest to candidates. The iron fist and intimidation approach is a horrible way to run a business.

Other Employee Reviews for ON Search Partners

1. Fantastic growth platform

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Unfiltered access to both internal and external clients. At a larger firm, you're going to have a bit more cover at times, but that also allows you to be complacent and rely on the brand or other resources in order to be successful. -No glass ceilings. It doesn't matter how old you are - if you can bring in business and execute at a high level, you will be promoted and given the opportunity to make a lot of money (but you only get to that point by earning it and having the market validation). -You have the flexibility of a smaller firm while still working with clients like Airbnb, Samsung, Cisco, Comcast, Cree, etc. You couldn't ask for a better client list for a boutique firm. -Partners grew up in search. One of the biggest challenges for people growing in this industry is that many Partners are brought over from industry and may lack the ability or interest to really learn how to execute searches. At ONSP, just about every Partner grew up from Research to being a big biller. This track record gives a tremendous amount of credibility to the mentoring process. -Very flexible working environment. Just get your work done – no one is sitting outside of your door with a clock. Eventually your work will suffer if you aren’t putting in the time. If you are an adult and understand the opportunity in front of you, you’ll take care of business.

Cons

-Since the Partners came from search, you can’t pull wool over their eyes. You aren’t completely held responsible for results, but you are held responsible for a process. -The upside is very focused on the Partners. If you are not interested in becoming a Partner and building a practice, this will be a challenging long term platform. On the flipside, there are a number of people who have left the firm and been extremely successful in new client-side environments. Regardless of the long term motivation, you are working in a tier 1 training group that can accelerate personal growth. -You have to work a bit harder as a boutique firm – this is quickly changing. We have almost doubled over the last year so that brand cache is accelerating

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. We have a disruptive platform and we need to continue to recruit high potential Associates & Directors to support and grow this business.

2. Executive search success, learned a ton!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time

Pros

The project search work is interesting if you like to learn about diverse industries-lots of cool technology and life sciences clients. I have learned a lot about broad business working with venture capital backed start-ups to Fortune 500. Some of the Partners take a genuine interest in me and my career. While the work is demanding, the ability to go from earning $85,000 to $300,000 after 4-5 years with the firm is real (IF you can personally develop business). I don’t know a lot of jobs like that in Cleveland-or anywhere for that matter. Great Christmas parties and annual profit sharing earn a thumbs up too.

Cons

Longer hours (50 norm) and consistent pressure seems to be common for employees at all levels. That may be the executive search industry standard however, as it seems there is inherent stress from clients who need to rapidly fill the open positions. If you are easily stressed out this is the wrong company (and maybe industry) to join.

Advice to Management

Time spent from consultants helped me grow to become a more confident and independent business savvy person. The time spent with clients and learning their businesses was critical to closing a project, I was glad to be given the trust to move forward.