There are newer employer reviews for ON Search Partners

Overpromise and under deliver severely

Former Employee - Recruiter in Solon, OH
Former Employee - Recruiter in Solon, OH

I worked at ON Search Partners full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the employees are pleasant. Many people pour their heart into satisfying the Partners / clients.

Partners personalities vary greatly as well as expectations and how they want to run their searches. Some have a lot of knowledge and a willingness to teach / train. Their training is intense but very short. I learned a lot about executive recruiting.

Christmas Party was great.

Health Benefits are very fair, though prices were set to increase in 2013.

They are focused on growth and climbing up compared to their competitors.

Cons

The hours are expected at 12+ hour days but to be available 24/7. They claim they spent their careers working long hours and demand it in their employees. They assume if you aren't stressed to the max, you need more work. If aren't working weekend, you need more work.

The training was abrupt without any time to ask questions. The company has basic documents, but no unified structure on how to do things. Changes from Partner to Partner and by mood. Some a very mean and overbearing. Others are rational people.

Management are bullies with egos, I've seen and heard them make junior employees cry. They are also the most moody guys I've ever met. They don't like anyone to challenge or question them and will intimidate and threaten you behind closed doors.

Advancement is impossible if you get on the "bad side" of senior management. They flaunt their wealth while paying very low bases and having a tepid commission structure.

Don't claim you will be making 6-figures shortly if you structure it to be nearly impossible. Be honest to candidates.

The iron fist and intimidation approach is a horrible way to run a business.

reviews filtered by
  1. Executive search success, learned a ton!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time

Pros

The project search work is interesting if you like to learn about diverse industries-lots of cool technology and life sciences clients. I have learned a lot about broad business working with venture capital backed start-ups to Fortune 500. Some of the Partners take a genuine interest in me and my career. While the work is demanding, the ability to go from earning $85,000 to $300,000 after 4-5 years with the firm is real (IF you can personally develop business). I don’t know a lot of jobs like that in Cleveland-or anywhere for that matter. Great Christmas parties and annual profit sharing earn a thumbs up too.

Cons

Longer hours (50 norm) and consistent pressure seems to be common for employees at all levels. That may be the executive search industry standard however, as it seems there is inherent stress from clients who need to rapidly fill the open positions. If you are easily stressed out this is the wrong company (and maybe industry) to join.

Time spent from consultants helped me grow to become a more confident and independent business savvy person. The time spent with clients and learning their businesses was critical to closing a project, I was glad to be given the trust to move forward.

2. Great at self-promotion to clients, lousy at living those values with employees

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at ON Search Partners

Pros

Some of the consultants have been in the industry for years, and came from competitors in which extremely long hours were the norm. So, they understand the requirements to succeed in the business.

Cons

Partners may all carry the same business card but are essentially a group of individual consultants, each with completely different styles. Some partners have solid values, others I would not introduce to even my enemies. Work-life balance is not to be used for the most part. Booking searches strictly for the revenue is rewarded above all else.

What goes around eventually comes back around.

There are newer employer reviews for ON Search Partners