There are newer employer reviews for ON Search Partners

Boutique firm with Tier 1 Executive Search Firm results

Current Employee - Director  in  Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

Entrepreneurial. ~25 employee firm and growing. Every role matters in this company vs. large corporate cog in the wheel. Very little political nonsense given the size of our firm.

We are an Inc 5000 rapidly growing company in terms of revenue and personnel. We are widely recognized as a top 20 retained executive search firm globally.

High levels of responsibility very quickly. The firm will add to your workload and responsibilities as you are ready.

You are exposed to and are working with some of the most impressive executives, companies, and VC's/PE's in the world early on in your career. This is unmatched in virtually any other career path.

You are learning something new with every single project (new industry, technology, function, talent pool, etc). Good for the intellectually curious.

In terms of work life balance, we work hard but for the most part you manage your own hours/schedule.

Virtually unlimited earning potential in Partnership track.

Cons

This business (not exclusive to this firm) is not for the faint of heart. It is a tough business. The work can be a grind and you have to keep your eye on the prize and remain patient.

Entrepreneurial environment works both ways. Limited structure. A lot of responsibility with limited training. You must be a self starter, no hand holding/limited direction.

Communication is limited at times. It is up to you (individually) to over-communicate with various team-members. If desired, your questions will be answered but it may take some digging/persistence.

A majority of your progression/success lies on your own shoulders. This can be seen as a positive or negative. You are not held back to progress in your role, but you have somewhat limited resources in getting there. You get back what you put in (for the most part).

The good outweighs the bad here.

Leadership is addressing many of the 'cons' listed above.

Keep lines of communication open.

Encourage growth at all levels of the organization and provide specific/defined developmental opportunities for non-partners.

Most importantly, have fun! Continue to explore ways of creating an excellent working culture. We all work very hard, as described. It is important that we have a lot of fun in our day to day to keep spirits/enthusiasm high as we continue to grow as a firm.

6 Other Employee Reviews for ON Search Partners (View Most Recent)

Overpromise and under deliver severely

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Solon, OH

I worked at ON Search Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the employees are pleasant. Many people pour their heart into satisfying the Partners / clients.

Partners personalities vary greatly as well as expectations and how they want to run their searches. Some have a lot of knowledge and a willingness to teach / train. Their training is intense but very short. I learned a lot about executive recruiting.

Christmas Party was great.

Health Benefits are very fair, though prices were set to increase in 2013.

They are focused on growth and climbing up compared to their competitors.

Cons

The hours are expected at 12+ hour days but to be available 24/7. They claim they spent their careers working long hours and demand it in their employees. They assume if you aren't stressed to the max, you need more work. If aren't working weekend, you need more work.

The training was abrupt without any time to ask questions. The company has basic documents, but no unified structure on how to do things. Changes from Partner to Partner and by mood. Some a very mean and overbearing. Others are rational people.

Management are bullies with egos, I've seen and heard them make junior employees cry. They are also the most moody guys I've ever met. They don't like anyone to challenge or question them and will intimidate and threaten you behind closed doors.

Advancement is impossible if you get on the "bad side" of senior management. They flaunt their wealth while paying very low bases and having a tepid commission structure.

Don't claim you will be making 6-figures shortly if you structure it to be nearly impossible. Be honest to candidates.

The iron fist and intimidation approach is a horrible way to run a business.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Director  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at ON Search Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coming from a competitor, I already knew what kind of challenges the nature of executive search entails. The culture at OnSearch really fosters a healthy environment to best deal with the daily struggles of search work. The Partners are willing to help, and there is an overall strong sense of respect among all employees. You are meant to feel like an important part of the company, and not just another employee.

Cons

The work itself is tough. Being a smaller firm, there isn't access to all of the resources and databases that you might find in a larger firm. Communication is key. You have to speak up if you feel you need any help.

There are newer employer reviews for ON Search Partners

Worked for ON Search Partners? Contribute to the Community!