OPIC

www.opic.gov
There are newer employer reviews for OPIC

Great place to intern.

I worked at OPIC

Pros

Lots of responsibility for interns at a high level.

Cons

No direct job offer available after internship is complete.

NA

14 Other Employee Reviews for OPIC (View Most Recent)

OPIC's a good place to learn about finance or to ease through the last 15 years of your career

I worked at OPIC

Pros

Working at the Overseas Private Investment Corporation was a good step for me to get a good grounding in finance before trying to get a private sector job. I knew very little about financial statement analysis, and was able to learn to analyze each statement in detail and make intelligent judgments about companies in a number of different markets. My supervisors were supportive, and being that it was a government employee, there was never any rush for me to produce. This gave me a easy-going learning environment that would not have been possible in the private sector. Overall, I would recommend internships there.

Cons

While the government pace of working at OPIC can provide a relaxing learning environment, it can also be maddeningly boring. Many of the other interns at OPIC found that they did not have many meaningful assignments - I believe that this is related to the fact that supervisors at OPIC don't have a private sector incentive to get value from your work.

A related annoying of working at OPIC is that it has a strikingly non-congenial work atmosphere. People aren't rude or intentional standoff-ish, but are in general not very easy to communicate with. I think this is because most employees are ex-bankers who have settled and have a family, and found OPIC (unsurprisingly) to be the easiest way to make a decent salary in the government.

I really had very little interaction with Senior Management. The interaction that I did have was always pleasant and encouraging of me in my career goals.

Prestigious place to work and make contacts.

I worked at OPIC

Pros

Interesting mission, smart coworkers. The organization is well-regarded and working there opens up a lot of doors for future opportunities. People are very willing to give younger workers assistance and to help with their educations both on the job and out of the workplace. There is camaraderie amongst the workers in most divisions.

Cons

Salary is not as high as private sector. It is also not always easy dealing with the bureaucracy that comes with the federal government. The senior management is made up of political appointees and this causes a bit of distance between the appointees and the people who were hired traditionally.

None.