There are newer employer reviews for OSIsoft

Nice people, but organization leaves something to be desired

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA
Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Friendly, very trustworthy people
- Fairly rational approach to money usage
- Comparatively tight-knit feel for an expanding company
- Opportunity to get into small, conservative projects
- Perfectly fine place to be for now

Cons

- Scattered departments
- Poor communication between business and technical segments of company
- Never retires products (which is easier to do initially, but becomes significantly harder over time)
- Some questionable personnel decisions
- Taking a larger proportion of undergraduates who lack experience in critical thinking and not training them
- Tech support is where people come in, but not where they want to stay

There is a lot of opportunity that we haven't put to full use yet. Tech support bears a large burden of the business, but does not seem to be given much power to drive changes to let them do their job better. Assorted departments are pulling in opposite directions, and there is increasing confusion and inefficiency. The company is no longer at a size that one can "just walk up to any open door," yet there still seems to be a misconception that good ideas are actually getting to management's door. Instead good ideas are getting cast aside without bubbling up, lost in an unspoken hierarchy.

There's some great talent still in the company and hopefully they can be given more freedom and opportunity to drive new projects that span multiple departments. We need to prepare for a time when the memories of the open-door days are gone, because with some foresight, we can position ourselves to foster internal growth and have fresh ideas, even as we get bigger.

reviews filtered by
  1. intern

Current Intern - Intern in San Leandro, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

friendly coworkers/great interaction
    good company culture

Cons

position was new, so sometimes what to do wasn't too well defined yet
    not much really

Collaborative and friendly work environment, but undergoing many significant changes

Current Employee - Employee in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at OSIsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people at OSIsoft are what make the company. Everybody is very approachable and helpful when they can be. At this point, there is no micromanagement which is a huge plus for me. Technical support is a fairly autonomous position, so it is nice that the managers keep their eyes on the big picture.

Cons

Some significant restructuring is happening within OSIsoft Tech Support. As the company grows, they are trying to mimic the more structured hierarchies of larger companies. This means they are adding ranking to your title (TSE I, TSE II, etc) which may add some constrictions in terms of advancement for employees, but it may not. It is too early to tell.

Also, as other reviews have mentioned, it is becoming somewhat harder to advance within the company, especially as it gets larger. Moving across departments (Tech Support -> Engineering) is not an easy feat, as Tech Support will not want to let you go and Engineering isn't in a hurry to hire developers internally. However, I do believe that if you prove yourself as a valuable asset that advancement is possible; it might just take some time.

Maintain a close relationship with each of your employees, while avoiding micromanaging. Determine where the employee wants to go and help them figure out how they can get there. Give more constant personal feedback and ask for feedback from your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for OSIsoft