There are newer employer reviews for OUP USA

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at OUP USA

Pros

Have to say I love this place. I like working independently, my boss has provided me with ample opportunity to work at moving up (and did in fact promote me), and has encouraged me to gain acquisitions experience. Good benefits, and a pretty casual environment. Also, the president is really great. Takes the time to talk to everybody, is very open and honest, and has an excellent knowledge of the industry. Anybody who doesn't succeed here or get something meaningful out of the experience wasn't really trying.

Cons

Low pay, but what do you expect from a not-for-profit academic publisher? Also, publishing is a topsy-turvy field right now, but what isn't?

Advice to Management

I got nothing, except maybe try to get all the departments paperless. Makes everything so much faster. It would also be awesome if some kind of cross-the-pond exchange could be done, especially for people lower down...

reviews filtered by
  1. It is a great place to learn and gain valuable work experience.

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at OUP USA

Pros

Your co-workers count on you to do work and you can rely on them in return. Starting as an intern, I was never asked to grab coffee. I had "real work" from the beginning.

Cons

A lot of turn-over, constantly re-structuring.

Advice to Management

Hire more assistants to take care of administrative work for middle managers!

It's a velvet coffin.

Former Employee - Associate Publicist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Publicist in New York, NY

I worked at OUP USA

Pros

In general, the people are great.

Cons

VP+ management doesn't care about lower-level employee salaries. They pay embarrassing wages and use team/family rhetoric to get you to take on more work that's not part of your job.

There are newer employer reviews for OUP USA