There are newer employer reviews for Oak Beverages

Rude, condescending, vulgar and unprofessional upper management.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Blauvelt, NY
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Blauvelt, NY

I worked at Oak Beverages

Pros

Working for a beer distributor is kind of a perk in and of itself, and they do give you a generous employee discount on their products. Also, there is great camaraderie between sales reps and lower-level management, I suppose as a result of our understanding that the company treats everyone equally terribly.

Cons

Where to begin... What they pay is not remotely close to enough to live on anywhere in the NY metro area. Monthly incentives and supplier incentives are paid 5-6 months late if even at all. When management closes the office due to inclement weather they dock all employees a vacation day. In the time I worked there I was promised three different promotions, none of which ever materialized. They provide horrendous customer service, including but not limited to refusing to accept returns of defective kegs, damaged cases and outdated product, which in turn reflects poorly on the sales reps. Upper-level management scream, yell, curse and belittle everyone below them as if they are all idiots with no idea how to do their jobs, and purposely keep objectives, policies and rules vague and undocumented so they can change them to suit their purposes as they see fit and without notifying anyone of the changes.

Advice to Management

The guidelines of this website will not permit me to say what I would really like to tell the management of Oak Beverages.

reviews filtered by
  1. district sales manager

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Blauvelt, NY
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Blauvelt, NY

I worked at Oak Beverages

Pros

great opportunity to use my talents and offer new ideas and success I was also offered a promotion

Cons

I really did not see any cons it is a good company, family owned and in business for a long time

Advice to Management

My advise was to update their sales tools to make an overall more efficient company since then they have added new technology

2. Blatant favoritism, weak management.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Oak Beverages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You sell beer, you meet great people and make great connections in the industry. Great sales reps.

Cons

Lack of support from management. Meetings at the office upstate during the week which cut into your time in the field. Credit department can be tough to deal with. There's a definite disconnect between the sales force and upper management which almost creates a rift between the two.

There is a certain amount of favoritism as well. People with no experience in sales can be thrust into management quickly if they're on the "right side of the fence"

Advice to Management

Work on boosting morale. A happy employee is a productive employee. Close the gap between sales and management. It's a great feeling to be part of a team but viewing management as "the enemy" is not such a great feeling.