Oakland Community College

There are newer employer reviews for Oakland Community College

Iffy

Current Employee - Tutor in Farmington Hills, MI
Current Employee - Tutor in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Oakland Community College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, flexible hours, good people to work for, satisfying job.

Cons

Tutees are sometimes unreasonable and rude, pay is terrible.

Give employees a raise.

18 Other Employee Reviews for Oakland Community College (View Most Recent)

Overall I like my job

I have been working at Oakland Community College full-time

Pros

Great benefits, enjoy working with my coworkers, and I can take classes at OCC for free!

Cons

Positions that open up are either top positions (Dean) or the lowest positions (part time or level 1). Positions in the college are top heavy. The people in the top positions don't seem very interested in the day to day operations within the departments. Money is often spent unwisely.

Listen to your employees more. They are on the front lines and know what is going on more than you do.

Experience varies depending on campus, department and supervisor

I have been working at Oakland Community College part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, Lots of time off, Interesting work, Great students and colleagues

Cons

Lots of changes going on right now. While I admire administration for wanting to update the college, they are making too many changes at once and being secretive about it.
    Some campuses and departments are great with responsive employees who do their job. Other campuses require lots of paperwork and e-mails to multiple people for simple things (getting basic office equipment repaired) which is never responded to after months of following up. Lots of "this for that" backscratching required to get things done.

Better to make one good change per year for 5 years, than multiple changes all at the same time. Ask your employees what changes should be made rather than hiring costly consultants. Promote long-time adjuncts rather than hiring from the outside. Working for years for no benefits is a major skill set and shows dedication to the institution. Hiring from the outside looks good on paper, but studies show it takes an outsider 2 years to be fully trained.

There are newer employer reviews for Oakland Community College