Oakland Unified School District

webportal.ousd.k12.ca.us
  webportal.ousd.k12.ca.us
There are newer employer reviews for Oakland Unified School District

Oakland Adult and Career Education: the gem of the Oakland Unified School District.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Teacher in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Oakland Unified School District

Pros

Excellent management: intelligent, effective, inclusive, action and detail oriented. Opportunities for collaboration among teachers and between teachers and administrators. Extensive paid professional development opportunities. Experienced and talented teaching workforce. Chances for advancement; plenty of opportunities to attend conferences, network with other adult ed. Great support from management.

Cons

Perpetual negativity from some teachers; some condescending attitudes from one administrator (out of about 14). Two-tier wage system also creates some resentment between "hourly" and "contract" teachers. Not enough teachers and administrators of color; especially African American: very limited, especially upper management is very white!

Remember: it's not a collective! Give clear directives; do not try to negotiate every single change with stubborn faculty members stuck in the 20th century. On the other hand, be inclusive; don't pick and choose; invite everyone to participate. Also, recruit more management and teachers of color; we're a little on the pale side.

29 Other Employee Reviews for Oakland Unified School District (View Most Recent)

Tough

I have been working at Oakland Unified School District full-time

Pros

It's great to see the kids learn.
    I met some great teachers.
    I got a chance to understand one example of the achievement gap.

Cons

Many teachers are new, so there is a lack of mentoring.
    Pay is not consummate with the job.
    It's difficult to make any headway due to lack of resources of many different kinds.

Find ways to make international connections with other schools. Streamline upper management. Meetings do not equal professional development.

Not good

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Oakland Unified School District

Pros

Autonomy, ability to affect kids that need it.

Cons

Completely under-funded and can be very unpredictable.

There are newer employer reviews for Oakland Unified School District

Worked for Oakland Unified School District? Contribute to the Community!