There are newer employer reviews for Oakley

Great Company but Little Focus on Front Line (Retail)

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Oakley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts are fantastic, company growth, laid back atmosphere. Besides pay, Oakley takes care of their employees. Allotment for clothing every quarter doesn't suck at all, neither does the steep discount on glasses. All they ask is to where an Oakley shirt. Dress code is extremely lax. Challenging work atmosphere but beneficial with that big sale. Having customers return to see you on such a long repurchase item is rewarding.

Cons

The pay for their retail associates is horrid. Evaluations for a raise can only be done once a year and are extremely minimal. Chance at making commission, yes, but usually not an amount worth bragging about. If you don't make the monthly numbers, you just worked your ass off for minimum pay and no commission. Opportunity to advance is limited. Outside hires with no experience beat out knowledgeable employees with experience. The learning curve can be steep for some. There is a lot to know about glasses and the lens types. The most obvious con is having to work retail. Watch out for the group of foreigners to come in and trash your T-shirt table that just took an hour to organize!

Advice to Management

Change the commission plan, you'll reduce your employee turnover with better pay. If I knew I was getting even 1% guaranteed commission on all my sales, you bet your ass I'm going to work to sell more. If month isn't going to be made, I won't even try to sell anymore. Luxottica needs to give more power back to Oakley HQ. We're becoming just like all the other brands they own. We have always been known to be different, so let us be different! All this made in China isn't cutting it and our customers are taking notice.

Other Employee Reviews for Oakley

1. Oakley Employee Store. No brainer job, no desire for growth opportunities!!!

Former Employee - Management in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only skilled required is know how to fold a t-shirt. (Folding board included). Retail store on a corporate schedule, closed on most holidays.

Cons

Work hard does not pay off. Compensation is very poor. Bonus structure is ONLY for upper management. Favoritism by upper management. It is all based on who you know. HR does not take any complaints seriously and does not look into resolving any situations.

Advice to Management

Length of employment does not always mean they are the most qualified person for the job. Show more appreciation to the little people (store associates) , without them, your business would not be as successful as it is.

2. Incredible Colleagues, but don’t drink the cool-aide!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Oakley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will work with some of the finest people, make amazing friendships!

Cons

Poor management, bad leadership, sad salary.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with the same level of respect. Dynamic within company is very bad.