There are newer employer reviews for Oakley

Great Company but Little Focus on Front Line (Retail)

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Oakley part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts are fantastic, company growth, laid back atmosphere. Besides pay, Oakley takes care of their employees. Allotment for clothing every quarter doesn't suck at all, neither does the steep discount on glasses. All they ask is to where an Oakley shirt. Dress code is extremely lax. Challenging work atmosphere but beneficial with that big sale. Having customers return to see you on such a long repurchase item is rewarding.

Cons

The pay for their retail associates is horrid. Evaluations for a raise can only be done once a year and are extremely minimal. Chance at making commission, yes, but usually not an amount worth bragging about. If you don't make the monthly numbers, you just worked your ass off for minimum pay and no commission. Opportunity to advance is limited. Outside hires with no experience beat out knowledgeable employees with experience. The learning curve can be steep for some. There is a lot to know about glasses and the lens types. The most obvious con is having to work retail. Watch out for the group of foreigners to come in and trash your T-shirt table that just took an hour to organize!

Advice to Management

Change the commission plan, you'll reduce your employee turnover with better pay. If I knew I was getting even 1% guaranteed commission on all my sales, you bet your ass I'm going to work to sell more. If month isn't going to be made, I won't even try to sell anymore. Luxottica needs to give more power back to Oakley HQ. We're becoming just like all the other brands they own. We have always been known to be different, so let us be different! All this made in China isn't cutting it and our customers are taking notice.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Management problems

Former Employee - WAREHOUSE ORDER PULLER in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - WAREHOUSE ORDER PULLER in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Oakley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, fun perks, employee discount, team morale

Cons

Management was hypocritical, low wages, bottom line more important than their employees

Advice to Management

All your managers are not necessarily trustworthy, mine was envious, vindictive, and a hypocrite. His behavior was unbecoming, it violated his own rules, and he was even racist. Be careful in just automatically trusting a manager based on the fact that he is a manager. Seek input from employees as well.

2. Good job for part time while in school.

I have been working at Oakley

Pros

Flexible schedule, benefits discounts is very good, uniform is provided at every season. Co-works are very helpful.( depends on what store you work at though). Has it's slow times and rushes

Cons

Hard to move up within company. Always have to keep busy no matter what. Pay raise can be better though.