There are newer employer reviews for Ocbc Bank

It's a nice place to coast along and retire but if you are at the growth stage, please don't stay too long

Current Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
Current Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Ocbc Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, can take quite a lot of leave

Cons

too conservative working culture with risk taking appetite sometimes veering towards "maximising safety at all costs", lack of trust among divisions and departments and hard to get things done even at the subordinate level unless management steps in, lack of transparency in certain matters relating to promotion, a high sense of "cover your own ass" culture

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I used to be a manager in OCBC

Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Ocbc Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upper management seems keen on staff welfare. Time to time, staff will receive little goodies from the management, such as brownies, N95 mask. It is a good approach to know that the organisation still care about its staffs. OCBC attempts to bring about colleagues cohesion with sport day, outings/

Cons

Commission payout is only verbal based and not written on anywhere, including the contract despite clearly being a commission incentive job. Payout will only be known months later and definitely lesser than the previous year. Staffs have no right to dispute if the payout is paid later than the verbal agreement, which is every quarterly, nor get a single cent if they choose to leave before the payout date. Direct superior tends to micro manage and have apparent biases among subordinates. It felt like I am back in my primary school day where I are supposed to report every single movement. Vulgarities were used on subordinates as and when the superior thinks it is necessary. Such as late reply to superior after working hours. Double standard can be seen between top management and middle management. Subordinates like me, had to adhere to middle management (cutting corners and meeting KPIs) while lying to top management that we are adhering to theirs (delivering quality to consumers). Feedback to the top management is equally controlled. Subordinates have to go through with their direct superiors what they are going to say and what is allowed. Internal transfer is only after 1.5 year - 2 years based on management approval hence only option for one to move out of the department is to wait and hope that OCBC approves your transfer or quit.

Advice to Management

I have worked with very senior staff from OCBC and they have displayed all you ever wish for in a superior. It would be good if super aspect could be seen in the middle management. Actually coming down to the ground more often to observe what is happening would be beneficial at times. High turnover is a sign that something is not right with the management or the manager. It would not be possible to have a turnover of almost 60% every month due to job fit issue. Lastly, one who excels well in the role of sales does not mean she has the quality to lead.

2. OCBC Bank Culture

Former Employee - Personal Financial Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Personal Financial Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Ocbc Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good chinese bank. Values strong team work. Had alot of fun while working there and one big happy family. Can see that they spent a lot of money on marketing and re-branding.

Cons

Sometimes its good to be more innovative in certain operations of the business. Lack of opportunity for internal transfer. May lose good people in the process.

Advice to Management

Improve on the cons