Occidental Petroleum

www.oxy.com
  www.oxy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum

Great experience, really allowed me to get my foot in the door within the industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum

Pros

Wonderful team atmosphere to keep employees motivated about the difference they are making both at home and in the work place. Pretty good benefits and flexible hours for specific positions. As an engineer, amazing pay and position within the company.

Cons

As an analyst, you may be under paid and under utilizedaccording to industry standards (i.e Chevron and the like).

Occidental has a wonderful management team. Management should be more aware of their employees skills and abilities, as others feel they could offer more to the company if given the opportunity.

163 Other Employee Reviews for Occidental Petroleum (View Most Recent)

Great company for domestic work

Current Employee - Geologist in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Geologist in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum

Pros

Very flat organization. If you have a good idea, it is executed very quickly. Management generally allows you to do your work without unnecessary oversight...they do not micro-manage. Pay and benefits are reasonable. I would guess that compensation is about average for the industry, which is okay with me considering that my work environment is very positive. They often award employees credit for previous industry experience for vacation purposes. Also, most geologists and engineers have an office as opposed to a cubicle. Organizational changes are common, which I view as a pro. I like to keep things fresh.

Cons

Currently understaffed, so we are all very busy. Sometimes upper management seems to reverse course very quickly. Oxy is known for layoffs. A couple of years ago, they did a substantial layoff when the stock was at a record high. People are often shuffled around, so if you don't like change this could be a con (I consider it a pro). If you are interested in international work, the locations that Oxy has to offer are limited...Houston, California, and a couple of places in South America and the Middle East are the only locations Oxy has to offer. I would love to see Oxy gain a presence in some different parts of the world. The lack of international locations that interest me is the biggest con in my opinion.

Avoid massive layoffs in the future. Although there is a genuine labor shortage currently, part of Oxy's difficulties in meeting staffing needs are related to the company having a reputation in the industry for doing layoffs, even when profits are high.

Glad it's a place I used to work

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum

Pros

Plenty of work; variety is available

Cons

Too much work; little or no appreciation for a job well done. Pigeon-holing is rampant: if you're good at something, it's the only thing you're good at.

Stop moving managers around like chess pawns. Listen to all opinions not just opinions from the favorites.

There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum