Occidental Petroleum
www.oxy.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Typical large corporation - pros and cons as a result

IT Consultant (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits, of course. The pay rate is better than you'll often get at other places for a similar workload. Everything is laid out in writing - no surprises from HR and no hollering bosses or anything like that. There are plenty of people to share the workload, and in addition to this, there is plenty of money to get hardware/software/consultants as needed. This is an oil company, and it is very profitable.

ConsCons are those of a large company. You have a specific role. You won't do much outside that role - you will not wear a lot of hats because those are other people's turf. In this sense, your skillset may suffer. You will develop a new set of skills however, and this is of the large corporation, which is something you cannot emulate at a small shop no matter the conditions. There are a lot of formalities and red tape, however, everything is done at a very high quality if you compare that to what is done by other institutions and corporations that are smaller and less formal. It takes effort to get things done - and patience.

Positive work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Midland, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Very flexible work schedule Management is very knowledgeable with respect to their… Cons: On-boarding process is a bit lacking for new employees Due to issues in lack of communication supply chain gets a bad… Advice to Senior Management: Work on the performance evaluations and work on your employee on-boarding.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Ok so far

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time for less than a year

Pros: low attrition rate; people are easy to get along with; the culture seems generally friendly and trusting; work from home 1 day/week in some functions;… Cons: Nothing big that I can see so far but I haven't been here that long. My last employer had lots of "extracurricular" activities (i.e. communities… Advice to Senior Management: Define what an operational excellence strategy means in a company that wants to remain agile. Then challenge the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Occidental Petroleum.

Worked for Occidental Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Occidental Petroleum reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Occidental Petroleum CEO Stephen I. Chazen. All reviews posted anonymously by Occidental Petroleum employees.