Occidental Petroleum

www.oxy.com
  www.oxy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum

Typical large corporation - pros and cons as a result

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - IT Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, of course. The pay rate is better than you'll often get at other places for a similar workload. Everything is laid out in writing - no surprises from HR and no hollering bosses or anything like that. There are plenty of people to share the workload, and in addition to this, there is plenty of money to get hardware/software/consultants as needed. This is an oil company, and it is very profitable.

Cons

Cons are those of a large company. You have a specific role. You won't do much outside that role - you will not wear a lot of hats because those are other people's turf. In this sense, your skillset may suffer. You will develop a new set of skills however, and this is of the large corporation, which is something you cannot emulate at a small shop no matter the conditions. There are a lot of formalities and red tape, however, everything is done at a very high quality if you compare that to what is done by other institutions and corporations that are smaller and less formal. It takes effort to get things done - and patience.

163 Other Employee Reviews for Occidental Petroleum (View Most Recent)

Positive work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule
    Management is very knowledgeable with respect to their positions
    Positive working environment with an open door policy to aid all employees

Cons

On-boarding process is a bit lacking for new employees
    Due to issues in lack of communication supply chain gets a bad rep even though they work hard as a support organization
    Performance evaluations are lacking in effectiveness and are demotivating to many

Work on the performance evaluations and work on your employee on-boarding. Other than that, Oxy is a great company to work with.

Ok so far

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (less than an year)

Pros

low attrition rate; people are easy to get along with; the culture seems generally friendly and trusting; work from home 1 day/week in some functions; other functions work a 9/80; incentive to carpool or take the bus/van; excellent relocation package! They moved me to Texas when I was hired and I felt very well taken care of.

Cons

Nothing big that I can see so far but I haven't been here that long. My last employer had lots of "extracurricular" activities (i.e. communities of practice and affinity groups like the society of women engineers). I don't see any of that here. If you're coming from an ISO9000 organization this will be a bit of a shock.

Define what an operational excellence strategy means in a company that wants to remain agile. Then challenge the functions to align to that vision. Start a quality program and use Lean/Six Sigma to drive cost reductions.

There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum