There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum

Pretty good place to intern

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - IT Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Occidental Petroleum as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Had an awesome mentor, pays very well and includes company-provided housing. A few good social events (Schlitterbahn, baseball game, Dave and Busters). We presented to the CIO at the end of the summer. The culture is pretty laid back, and I wasn't afraid of asking for help. The underground parking and on site food court was nice.

Cons

I felt like the IT interns weren't treated as well as the other interns. Only a few of us got full time offers while nearly all engineering interns received offers. We also weren't able to participate in as many social events as the others (rock climbing, skydiving). Some of the IT interns didn't have very exciting projects.

Treat the IT interns the same as the other interns.

152 Other Employee Reviews for Occidental Petroleum (View Most Recent)

Good So far

Current Employee - Staff Facilities Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Facilities Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros - Good pay
    Mentors available
    9/80 work schedule
    Great bonuses
    Managers are not micro-managers
    Relax, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Cons – On-boarding process is a bit lacking for new employees. I didn't get a mentor
    Huge work load

A company with no ethics, integrity or morals.

Former Employee - Senior Facilities Engineer  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Facilities Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Within individual assets, there are numerous opportunities for learning and development. Senior contract staff can help guide you on technical approaches to projects and where you should focus on developing skills. Only financial benefits are recent retention bonuses, but they have now stopped. Young engineers can gain from quick advancement, if not in leadership roles then in pay grade, because the older engineers have left.

Cons

Oxys reputation is the lowest in the industry and, as a result, many people have left once they realize why. In fact, the turnover is so large that graduates five years out of college are given the title of senior engineer - which is ridiculous given the level of experience that this position usually requires.

Oxy is a very cliquish company, with people even slightly different from the archaic culture being driven out. The company makes a show of being safety orientated, but in reality production and the bottom line are the priorities. This can be seen in their safety performance which is another example of the low level of concern for peoples well being - particularly from HR.

There is a great deal of victimization within the company, with stonewalling on performance reviews being very unproductive. Accountability only seems to apply to certain people.

Salaries are very low compared to majors such as Chevron and Conoco and, despite Oxys inability to attract talent, pay raises and overall compensation remain laughable. Assets in California and Texas are really the only location options - Libya and Oman being the primary oversees options and North Dakota extremely challenging for anyone in the current oil and gas climate.

Company requires a complete culture change, review of current abusive HR practices and an image makeover.

There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum

Worked for Occidental Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!