Occidental Petroleum
www.oxy.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Job was not bad, too much politics

IT Intern (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

ProsI was only an intern, so I didn't get the full-time experience. They treat the interns very well, paid apartment for the summer, multiple intern events throughout the summer, and good pay for an internship. The work I did was good industry experience.

ConsIt felt like there was too much politics going on. Lots of talking behind other people's backs. Management followed stock prices too closely, and it affected the work environment. I worked hard all summer, including pulling an over-nighter to help catch up on work, and received nothing but positive feedback, until my end of summer review. My boss told me that I had been doing a poor job all summer and it was my fault that the project was behind (even though it was almost a year behind when I started on it as an intern), I believe one of my co-workers went behind my back and threw me under the bus, and I didn't feel like it was fair to blame me for the project's failure. There was a lot of finger pointing and bad talking about people within the company, which was not enjoyable.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't stress the stock price as much, and encourage an open, honest working environment. Cut all the political crap.

The good is very good, the bad is very bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Occidental Petroleum full-time

Pros: A high level of quality people in the company Cons: Cliquish culture that excludes anyone not following the "company line"… Advice to Senior Management: Reward and acknowledge innovative thought – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good company to gain experience fast

Reservoir Engineer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time for more than a year

Pros: You have the opportunity to execute your ideas without going through a lot of processes and become visible to the higher management… Cons: Business units are understaffed. Work load for reservoir engineers is… Advice to Senior Management: Hire more people Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Occidental Petroleum.

Worked for Occidental Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Occidental Petroleum reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Occidental Petroleum CEO Stephen I. Chazen. All reviews posted anonymously by Occidental Petroleum employees.