Occidental Petroleum

www.oxy.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum

The political minefield they call Occidental Petroleum, where it's not about what you know, but who and saying yes.

Current Employee - Professional in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some good people, decent benefits, flexible work schedule as long as you're working 60 hours per week, there aren't any 980's where I live. They have some good folks but are hemorrhaging them right now to others willing to offer more money, better work life balance and who actually pay for performance.

Cons

Politics rule promotions, it's not what you know, it's who. Despite their assertion people are not their primary resource, with all of the reorganization and becoming a smaller company means less people, therefore they overwork the people that are there, use the performance review system to beat people down, are obsessed with head count and would rather pay 3 times as much using consultants to get rid of a direct employee. I can't see how spending 3x more money for the convenience of being able to get rid of someone without having to fabricate a case in the performance review system is a benefit to the company. Low morale in most people who have been there a while and are honest. There is no pay for performance, and anyone that says there is just happens to be on the sunny side of the field for now or is a sacrificial anode. Oxy pays for blind obedience, inner circles are filled with yes men asking what's in it for them, you are expected to push the ethics envelope, not visibly of course and if you don't you become a liability or at best someone on the way out.

Do the shareholders know how much money is being wasted on consultants? No. Do you surround yourself with yes men? Yes. Are people really your greatest asset? No. Do you pay for performance? No. You have a number of positional managers, not leaders, but those that rule and sometimes terrorize by position alone. You do not reward leadership or value diversity which includes differing ideas. Ethics are desired but get in the way of the big fish getting what they want, so you stretch the rules a bit to create a double standard that if a regular employee was involved in would get slapped down; enter the yes man, the sacrificial anode, plausible deniability; exit the better employees.

177 Other Employee Reviews for Occidental Petroleum (View Most Recent)

Awsome company benefits!

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment, nice co-workers, excellent benefits and company perks.

Cons

Total disconnect between management and subordinates.

Respect your employees.

Fantastic Experience!!!

Current Intern - IT Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - IT Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Occidental Petroleum as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

This company truly cares about their people. As an intern, having only worked 5 days thus far, I have been able to schedule a meeting with the CIO just to talk to him and get to know him more. In addition to that, Oxy is more than happy to fly other interns from various locations as far as Michigan into Houston just for an Intern social event.

Cons

My only reserve for this company is they are very focused on their Engineers and International Interns/Employees. Again I have only been here 5 days and we have had 3 pretty major meetings with top management, at two of these 3 the main speaker didn't even refer to my area of focus (IT). They did the activity where they said "Raise your hand if you are an Intern in [Engineering, OxyChem, Geology, from the UAE, etc.]". I guess though this is kind of to be expected with an oil company... I don't need my handheld as an IT guy.

Be mindful of all moving parts of your company (especially of people that get your computers and rigs running).

There are newer employer reviews for Occidental Petroleum