Ocean Spray

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tomah, WI
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tomah, WI

I have been working at Ocean Spray full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation is good and the vacation benefits are really good. Personal growth in the company seems to be on the rise. I have felt that I would never get the chance to advance with the company until of late. In the last 6 months they have really grown in this area.

Cons

I feel that communication has some room for improvement. I feel like some times things are kept from us until last minute and then everyone is up in arms.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Conservative Culture

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

some good people who want to do a great job

Cons

silo'd departments, tactical (poor) middle management, task-oriented risk adverse workers, upper management who are sub-par in leading and make decisions based on opinion, not fact.

Advice to Management

Weed out Sr Mgrs and Directors who can not develop organizations or lead people. Encourage (reward) workers for taking risks to improve the business. Accept failure a part of business and highlight it to learn from mistakes. Drive to single ownership of teams for clear accountability.

Recommend Staying away from Sales and Marketing Departments

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing

I worked at Ocean Spray full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many great people in the middle management levels of the organization that are very caring and supportive, and just generally great to work with. Ocean Spray has a great brand. They will be a good company and employer again at some point.

Cons

Pay is OK depending on the level and salary you are hired in at - their overall compensation philosophy seems to be to pay as little as possible for a given job. They have salary ranges for each position, but many are paid below the bottom of the band. I wouldn't recommend this as a place for a young person to develop. There isn't much of a developmental culture here and people generally sit in jobs for a long time which makes career progression somewhat difficult. Not a bad place for someone later in their career though.

Work life balance is OK. There is some flexibility which is nice, but lots of evening and weekend work. It is not uncommon to get a short lead time request on a Saturday or Sunday.

Upper management and the culture they have created is the real problem here, and the reason I would recommend staying away until the C-level managers turn over. There is a culture of frequent verbal abuse and all decisions must go through Top management. Employees are not empowered to make decisions and must frequently placate upper management.

Advice to Management

I'm honestly not sure if the upper management can course-correct at this point given the amount of damage done to the culture and work environment. Very few employees have any faith in management or the direction of the company.