There are newer employer reviews for Ocean State Job Lot

It's like New England's own special interpretation of Walmart culture

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot

Pros

Great opportunity for people watching

Cons

I lost brain cells by the second

Keep on truckin

57 Other Employee Reviews for Ocean State Job Lot (View Most Recent)

If you want to be treated like you're a moron, Job Lot is for you!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot

Pros

Free health insurance, some decent people to work with

Cons

They like to claim they are a family run company and take pride in it. Well, it's the most dysfunctional family I've ever been part of then. The owner surrounds himself with "yes men" and is kept in the dark about how it really is to work at the store level. They all seem to enjoy their 6 figure paychecks and say whatever he wants to hear to keep it that way. Of course, you know what they say about s**t rolling downhill? The RM's and DM's just do whatever they say and have no courage to tell it like it is. The buyers are the ability to single handedly make your life miserable. They say, "you're not selling this, why?" then you get an email from a DM or RM that reiterates the point. Which in turn makes everyone stops what they are doing to make sure a crappy $1.00 coffee mug is presented in a good location to improve sales. Seriously? It's a joke. I guess that's what happens when ownership surrounds himself with life-long friends and allows anyone with access to a computer to dictate what you do at the store. It is totally disorganized. Did I mention Operational audits? This is one of the most ridiculous parts of life at Job Lob. It's basically a list of items broken down by category (loss prevention, merchandising, front end, etc.) You maximum score is 100. Makes sense, right? Not so fast. Each section is broken down into subsections assigned a point value. More serious infractions are given higher values. The issue is that it is not done like most reasonable people would think. . . as a percentage. Instead you start at 100 and for every point lost, it is subtracted from 100. It is actually possible to score -150 points (give or take). WHAT?? Who designed this audit. I could go on and on about every subject imaginable, but I think my keyboard might disintegrate by then. They promise you the sky, and all you get is belittled, ridiculed, and chastised. All negative, all the time. Oh, by the way thanks so much for that staggering $900 bonus this year. I'll almost be able to pay rent this month. I'm glad my 60 hours a week from November through January was worth it. What a joke!!

Treat people with disrespect and you sow what you reap. If store personnel spoke to you the way you spoke to us, my *ss would be out the door faster than you can say Top 40. I am convinced the real talent and intelligence is at the stores not in all your fancy offices in Rhode Island. Listen to the people that make you money. They work on the front lines everyday and know that making money, improving the bottom line, and making customers happy are the keys to success, not some silly Top 40 Report that is outdated and lacks any real usefulness.

Ownership indecisive and plodding, most employees weak and under-talented

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free health care, that is all

Cons

Cannot afford good talent, and they refuse to get rid of the weak employees. Can't make decisions without the CEO, who everyone is afraid of, including the other owners.

Retire