There are newer employer reviews for Ocean State Job Lot

Ownership indecisive and plodding, most employees weak and under-talented

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free health care, that is all

Cons

Cannot afford good talent, and they refuse to get rid of the weak employees. Can't make decisions without the CEO, who everyone is afraid of, including the other owners.

Advice to Management

Retire

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Turn and Run

I worked at Ocean State Job Lot full-time

Pros

Not many Pros working for this company other than paid health insurance if you are an exempt/salaried employee.

Cons

Too many to name. A very "us vs. them" mentality portrayed from the corporate offices and company officials toward the workers in the stores.The work environment is very negative and that comes right from the owners and trickles down to the stores.The work schedule for management is supposed to be 50 hours a week, but you can be told you must work your day off without much notice. Most warehouses in a company support the stores,in this company the stores are at the mercy of the warehouse..constant deliveries of merchandise allocated by the buyers of the company jam the stores stockrooms and make working smartly and efficiently impossible.The owners and upper management constantly talk down to store management and employees.

Advice to Management

Spend more time in the stores and take a sensitivity course

2. It is a proactive work environment with positive and friendly co-workers.

I have been working at Ocean State Job Lot

Pros

Very knowledgeable employees and team-oriented mindsets that works together to reach the end result. Employees are friendly to work with. I love the open door policy. Everyone is approachable.

Cons

There's room to grow and expand as an employee but if you are looking for a higher salary, it can be difficult to obtain.

Advice to Management

I cannot speak for all management but some that I know of are doing a miraculous job at maintaining workflows. As for improvements and innovation, their efforts are admirable but it can be revamped or polished. The systems used there can use updates or maybe even upgrades. I constantly hear complaints about the software system being slow and at times even unresponsive. And with my experience there, I agree with that. I believe that this company is heading in the right direction but to expand the rate of growth they should consider reinvesting more into their software. The talent is there but they need systems in place to support them and allow them to perform at maximum capacity. This would help them to focus on profits not the process.