Analysts/entry-level job candidates, stay clear of Ocean Tomo

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ocean Tomo

Pros

High expectations for quality of work product.

Cons

Long hours, poor communication, lack of leadership, negative environment, limited training and team collaboration, endless hours performing "mindless" work (example: searching for specific information from boxes and boxes of documents), limited engagement, very isolated environment.

Advice to Management

The company may advertise family values (listed below), but its senior managers should act more to demonstrate these values on an every-day basis. "We value quality, integrity and honesty. Ocean Tomo is a united family - we work together to help each other. We are responsible to our investors, our management partners and employees, and ourselves. We do not stray from our investment thesis or our values. Every activity in which we participate should yield a return through goodwill or new direct or indirect opportunities. We are respectful of the firm's heritage to which we are custodian - every person we meet should be impressed by our professionalism and values. Criticism must be constructive; family criticism must be private. Time is our most valued commodity - any potential client we meet or transaction we consider should be of high quality and relevant to our Mission and investment thesis. Under-promise and over-deliver; aim high but don't overstate. We work hard in a smart and efficient way remembering the importance of balance in our life. Our effort is 110% - anticipate your expected contribution and then outperform."

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good company

Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Expert Testimony Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and it was great. The people taught me a lot about business, financial analysis,and intellectual property. The office space was very nice. Social activities were good. I learned a lot, got to travel, and had great co-workers; not sure what else I could ask for. The only reason I left was because I got an unbelievable offer from a dotcom. Otherwise I would have stayed.

Cons

I've read some of the other reviews on here and I'll agree that it would be nice to have matching for the 401k. Not sure about some of the other negative comments as I was always treated well, though more transparency on firm revenue and earnings would have been good (to say "we are profitable" but not telling everyone how MUCH profit seems a bit too secretive).

Advice to Management

Although the space was very nice, all the Analysts (like me) had to sit in cubes, even when there were open offices available. Hey, would it have killed you to let some of us have a windowed office, even if only for a few months?

Good career start

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This has been a great career starter (and I may stay in it for several years). The work is interesting and challenging. My coworkers are very helpful and the "higher ups" seek my opinion and involvement. Although this is a niche business a lot of what we do is transferable anywhere. I have learned great model building skills and business case skills.

Cons

Probably the biggest con is that we don't rotate through all the offices like I thought would happen. There are office in Houston and several west coast cities and in three years you'd think management could rotate me (and everyone) through them. Also, the break room should have new items added as not everyone plays pool or uses massage chairs. Maybe add some pinball games?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but give us even more freedom. Maybe allow everyone to pick which office they want to work in for 3 months out of the year. Also, while I appreciate the cell phone subsidy, it could be beefed up a bit.