When the Going Was Good, It Was Great

I worked at Ocean Tomo

Pros

A company with a number of strong quality professionals. A great place to work if you are interested in chasing the next big thing or being the most innovative company out there. When the company was thriving, the environment was fun and upbeat.

Cons

Management seems to base business projections on best case scenario. Management slow to react and accept the changing economic environment. Empty promises made to employees about the future of certain business units. Promotions awarded based on questionable reasons.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider the viability of the company's goals and how realistic those goals are in the current market environment. Be straightforward with employees about business profitability.

reviews filtered by

Analysts/entry-level job candidates, stay clear of Ocean Tomo

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ocean Tomo

Pros

High expectations for quality of work product.

Cons

Long hours, poor communication, lack of leadership, negative environment, limited training and team collaboration, endless hours performing "mindless" work (example: searching for specific information from boxes and boxes of documents), limited engagement, very isolated environment.

Advice to Management

The company may advertise family values (listed below), but its senior managers should act more to demonstrate these values on an every-day basis.

"We value quality, integrity and honesty.

Ocean Tomo is a united family - we work together to help each other.

We are responsible to our investors, our management partners and employees, and ourselves. We do not stray from our investment thesis or our values.

Every activity in which we participate should yield a return through goodwill or new direct or indirect opportunities.

We are respectful of the firm's heritage to which we are custodian - every person we meet should be impressed by our professionalism and values.

Criticism must be constructive; family criticism must be private.

Time is our most valued commodity - any potential client we meet or transaction we consider should be of high quality and relevant to our Mission and investment thesis.

Under-promise and over-deliver; aim high but don't overstate.

We work hard in a smart and efficient way remembering the importance of balance in our life.

Our effort is 110% - anticipate your expected contribution and then outperform."

Took awhile, but I finally found my "this is it!" company

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ocean Tomo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge in its field. I have learned a lot here in less than 2 years. The people here are the best. Everyone is willing to help and I learn from them every day. The work environment is very flexible, which makes it great for working mothers. The Chicago and SF offices are very nice (I have not been to the Houston office yet). And, while this may seem small, they pretty much pay for my cell phone. It's nice little gestures like that that really show they care.

Cons

Almost too much socializing. We go out monthly, have semi-annual all-company get-togethers, and there are the random "let's everyone grab something at the bar" nights. Last year I couldn't make it to everything (missed the Cubs rooftop and Whirlyball nights). Would be nice if they we got to vote on what nights the monthly outings are so I don't miss things.

Advice to Management

Management should promote their family-friendly attitude more. They have great family policies but downplay them (I almost did not accept the job because I didn't know about the flex time). I pretty much work 4 days a week, which in consulting is unheard of. In other words, dear bosses, don't be humble... tout what makes your great!