There are newer employer reviews for Ocean Tomo

No clue about business

Former Employee - Director
Former Employee - Director

I worked at Ocean Tomo

Pros

Relatively diverse workforce. Interesting ideas. Nice offices.

Cons

Too many ideas--no execution. Very political environment, stay away if you are not related to or know someone very well in the firm. Entire view of the management is on creating valuable IP (they have several patents and many pending) not business value--marketing, sales, and operations are not priorities.

Split up the firm into services, products, auction, and investments. Too many conflicts of interest

12 Other Employee Reviews for Ocean Tomo (View Most Recent)

When the Going Was Good, It Was Great

I worked at Ocean Tomo

Pros

A company with a number of strong quality professionals. A great place to work if you are interested in chasing the next big thing or being the most innovative company out there. When the company was thriving, the environment was fun and upbeat.

Cons

Management seems to base business projections on best case scenario. Management slow to react and accept the changing economic environment. Empty promises made to employees about the future of certain business units. Promotions awarded based on questionable reasons.

Seriously consider the viability of the company's goals and how realistic those goals are in the current market environment. Be straightforward with employees about business profitability.

Analysts/entry-level job candidates, stay clear of Ocean Tomo

Former Employee - Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ocean Tomo

Pros

High expectations for quality of work product.

Cons

Long hours, poor communication, lack of leadership, negative environment, limited training and team collaboration, endless hours performing "mindless" work (example: searching for specific information from boxes and boxes of documents), limited engagement, very isolated environment.

The company may advertise family values (listed below), but its senior managers should act more to demonstrate these values on an every-day basis.

"We value quality, integrity and honesty.

Ocean Tomo is a united family - we work together to help each other.

We are responsible to our investors, our management partners and employees, and ourselves. We do not stray from our investment thesis or our values.

Every activity in which we participate should yield a return through goodwill or new direct or indirect opportunities.

We are respectful of the firm's heritage to which we are custodian - every person we meet should be impressed by our professionalism and values.

Criticism must be constructive; family criticism must be private.

Time is our most valued commodity - any potential client we meet or transaction we consider should be of high quality and relevant to our Mission and investment thesis.

Under-promise and over-deliver; aim high but don't overstate.

We work hard in a smart and efficient way remembering the importance of balance in our life.

Our effort is 110% - anticipate your expected contribution and then outperform."

There are newer employer reviews for Ocean Tomo

Worked for Ocean Tomo? Contribute to the Community!