There are newer employer reviews for Oceaneering International

Interesting job but no leadership. Decided to move on to another company

Current Employee - Senior Pilot Technician  in  Saint John's, NL (Canada)
Current Employee - Senior Pilot Technician in Saint John's, NL (Canada)

I have been working at Oceaneering International

Pros

Great pay and it's an interesting job. I liked working on ROVs and for the most part we had some pretty good guys on our team

Cons

They promote solely on seniority. Very poor working environment with absolutely no leadership. The problem as I see it is they hire too many backyard mechanics that know little to no electronics or hydraulic experience. Also when these people eventually get promoted, they have no clue how to lead or provide direction to a group of men. It's a vicious circle. No formal training necessary when your hired, they believe that they can train you. Unfortunately, attitude is not one of the things they can teach a person. Allot of bad attitudes where everyone thought they deserved timeoff or more money when in reality they never brought anything to the table to begin with. Where I was to, there was too many people who got ahead simply by back stabbing and ass kissing. Myself I like to be busy and there was always something to do if you wanted, but there was never any incentive to perform. Most times technicians would sit around and surf the Internet for three weeks at a time and only address things when they absolutely had to. They have a competency program where supposedly, if you have proven you are knowledgeable about a topic your supervisor will sign off that task for you. Most times this is a pencil whipping exercise which holds no merit We also had a couple of close calls that got down played by our management to avoid questions from our client. They like to preach safety but in my opinion, if your not a qualified electrician, or you don’t know what your doing, you shouldn’t be playing around in a 3000 volt PDU panel.

Anyway, I could go on and on about how ridiculous it was but I wasted four years of my life there and decided enough was enough. Basically I got tired of being unappreciated and a door mat. None the less I left on good terms and made a healthy change. I wish Oceaneering well and good luck but it's not an environment I want to go back into very quickly. I certainly would not recommend this as a good place to work. I took the experience and training and moved on.

Pay more attention to recruitment. Screen potential candidates and take a look at some of their resumes. Senority is a horrible way to promote people, especially if that person is clearly the wrong candidate for the job. Good luck to ya!

88 Other Employee Reviews for Oceaneering International (View Most Recent)

Good experience with clients

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Oceaneering International

Pros

Easy work life and no work pressure

Cons

No career progression.
    Poor Management.
    Stick to old menthods and process

People are great, processes are lacking

Current Employee - Engineer IV
    Current Employee - Engineer IV

I have been working at Oceaneering International

Pros

Company matches up 6% in contributions to 401K
    Fast accrual of vacation with seniority
    Great people to work with
    Social events
    Competitive salary
    Interesting work at various locations worldwide

Cons

Though 'continuous improvement' is the mantra of OII, my organization has procedures that don't reflect the work we do and doesn't have procedures for some work that we do. That is the most frustrating part of the work that I do.

Communication, communication, communication! Make sure communications are relevant, timely, and targeted.

There are newer employer reviews for Oceaneering International

Worked for Oceaneering International? Contribute to the Community!