Oceaneering International

www.oceaneering.com

Interesting job but no leadership. Decided to move on to another company

Senior Pilot Technician (Current Employee) Saint John's, NL (Canada)

ProsGreat pay and it's an interesting job. I liked working on ROVs and for the most part we had some pretty good guys on our team

ConsThey promote solely on seniority. Very poor working environment with absolutely no leadership. The problem as I see it is they hire too many backyard mechanics that know little to no electronics or hydraulic experience. Also when these people eventually get promoted, they have no clue how to lead or provide direction to a group of men. It's a vicious circle. No formal training necessary when your hired, they believe that they can train you. Unfortunately, attitude is not one of the things they can teach a person. Allot of bad attitudes where everyone thought they deserved timeoff or more money when in reality they never brought anything to the table to begin with. Where I was to, there was too many people who got ahead simply by back stabbing and ass kissing. Myself I like to be busy and there was always something to do if you wanted, but there was never any incentive to perform. Most times technicians would sit around and surf the Internet for three weeks at a time and only address things when they absolutely had to. They have a competency program where supposedly, if you have proven you are knowledgeable about a topic your supervisor will sign off that task for you. Most times this is a pencil whipping exercise which holds no merit We also had a couple of close calls that got down played by our management to avoid questions from our client. They like to preach safety but in my opinion, if your not a qualified electrician, or you don’t know what your doing, you shouldn’t be playing around in a 3000 volt PDU panel.

Anyway, I could go on and on about how ridiculous it was but I wasted four years of my life there and decided enough was enough. Basically I got tired of being unappreciated and a door mat. None the less I left on good terms and made a healthy change. I wish Oceaneering well and good luck but it's not an environment I want to go back into very quickly. I certainly would not recommend this as a good place to work. I took the experience and training and moved on.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to recruitment. Screen potential candidates and take a look at some of their resumes. Senority is a horrible way to promote people, especially if that person is clearly the wrong candidate for the job. Good luck to ya!

Good experience with clients

Project Manager (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Oceaneering International

Pros: Easy work life and no work pressure Cons: No career progression. Poor Management. Stick to old menthods and process More

People are great, processes are lacking

Engineer IV (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oceaneering International

Pros: Company matches up 6% in contributions to 401K Fast accrual of vacation with… Cons: Though 'continuous improvement' is the mantra of OII, my organization has procedures that don't reflect the work we do and doesn't… Advice to Senior Management: Communication, communication, communication! Make sure communications are relevant, timely,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Oceaneering International.

Worked for Oceaneering International? Contribute to the Community!