WOnderful

Current Employee - Solutions Development Manager
Current Employee - Solutions Development Manager

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Excellent salary and freedom to run your business.

Cons

Poor training and internal structure. Things change all of the time at too fast of a pace.

Advice to Management

Better training.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Goes downhill year after year

I have been working at Office Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are pleasant.
    Mediocre benefits, but it's something.
    Good pay if you stay around long enough

Cons

Corporate has no idea what it's doing. Too many new ideas that are untested, faulty, costly, and unrealistic on a store level, leaving store personnel with the responsibility to make these bad ideas work. I've heard the phrase, "do the best you can with it" so many times that it should be our company slogan. But, do it wrong and it's all your fault.

The ICSE program is a joke. Providing excellent customer service should be a priority, but dictating to your staff every action is pathetic. We are told what to say, when to say it, who to talk to, what ares of the store we are limited to, and any deviation from this results in penalties.
    (FYI: we had 50+% turnover since the program started)
    We are held accountable by individuals who "visit" our stores, spy on us from our parking lots, and stay around only long enough to criticize any mistake we make.

Advice to Management

Nobody goes to a restaurant because they have the best waiters. They go because they want the food.
    If we offer products that people do not want, services that (in my opinion) take too long, questionable pricing practices, or anything else that keeps customers out of the building, they will not care about the excellent customer service, because they will never see it.

2. The company is fragmented and the first year here is a challenge; the income potential and opportunities offset though.

Current Employee - Market Manager
    Current Employee - Market Manager

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Income potential is strong compared to the competitor I've worked for. Management for the most part is accessible and they do their job. The opportunities to advance are there.

Cons

Internal systems and procedures are convoluted; many are redundant. It is very difficult the first year learning the systems. Often, simple processes are made complex and counter intuitive. It may be that someone new to the industry or to sales would have an easier time acclimating though.