a daily fight, and the new failed ISCE "Journy" Program

Current Employee - CSS II, Copy Center
Current Employee - CSS II, Copy Center

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

name on resume
10% employee discount
can get work done on slow days
you can tell when its hyped up lies coming out of corporate

Cons

1-ISCE "journy" = putting all the work on front end and managers to allow the tech and furnature associates to sell to the customers but for no longer than 5 min
all associates must quiz every other associate every 60 seconds or so and a lot of paperwork
2- pay is minimum wage with no pay increase unless the whole store does well and no commision unles you double or triple your last years best and only if your the best in a district
3 - corporate has micro-mange-itis
4- if your on the bottom its always your fault
5- copy center is the most demanding section of the store outside of managers because half the time copy center acts as managers

Advice to Management

learn that 2 associates till noon is not a effective way to cut costs nor are 2 associates from 6 till close is an effective way of cutting costs, ISCE is and i cant emphasise strongly enough NOT LESS WORK no matter how many times you say its less work you cant lie to us we know your cutting costs
STOP LIEING TO YOUR ASSOCIATES wed trust a corporate that would be honest

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Frustrating.

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

As long as you don't steal, you will never be fired. A few good people work there. Full time benefits are comparable to other retailers.

Cons

Secretive management, no communication of company goals, no raises, new employees raised on a pedestal while long time workers are ignored or made to do grunt work. Poor organization at store level with no clear cut job description, new "customer experience" program that seems to be targeted more at investors' perception of the company rather than at actual customers or employees. Example: Online survey is only offered to customers who are likely to give high marks.
      It does not take Donald Trump to recognize that your dissatisfied customers present more room for improvement than fans of certain employees do. Time and time again we are told to only give survey cards to happy customers since bad survey results reflect badly on the store. You rapidly become an expert in detecting your satisfied customers, while the less than happy people are sullenly rushed to the door.
    Horribly overworked and underpaid freight crew who are basically responsible for all tasks. Lots of turnover. If you dream of a minimum wage job with no future or even recognition, Office Depot is the place for you. Just abandon all hope at the door.

Advice to Management

What can I suggest to undo a train wreck in progress? Send out your resume to as many places as possible?

Overall slightly more negative experiences than positive ones.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Office Depot

Pros

Once you have the job it is fairly easy to keep the job. Depending on what department you work you can encounter some odd problems/issues to increase your knowledge in the field. Speaking from my experience as a tech associate, even though they call everyone a customer service associate if your trained in something like tech or copy and print you will work this department only.

Cons

These are mostly dependent on what type of person you are. I was annoyed at a lot of fellow employees for their laziness in doing their job and at management for not really making them do it. They really push the selling of Services and Product Protection Plans and will stay on you at making a sell of one of these on 1 out of every 3 products in tech sold. I had an issue with the pricing of most of the services and on the protection plans on some items, i.e. pushing them on flash drives, keyboards, mice, etc. in my mind is rather pointless and just trying to take money from customer. At my store the management said not to lie, but they also basically said to leave out certain information and one manager directly told me, "No, don't lie just don't tell the whole truth." at which I was rather taken aback since their supposed main goal is to have "awesome customer service." Management lied to me and customers in saying, "We make $0 in tech sales," and told employees, "We make no money because we have to be able to compete in pricing and we only sell tech at all to try and get them to buy other things with it, like paper/ink with printers or plans and services on other tech." Well later eventually I got one of the managers to say, "We as a store don't make any money, but have an agreement with HP to where for ever computer/laptop sold of theirs they give us $100 at the end of quarter." I'm sure the 100 was just a number to state they get something back per unit sold.

Advice to Management

Be more informative to employees on things, mostly speaking from tech area and that after 5 months of being there I was still every now and again learning new things I could do and/or charge for tech services. Think about revising some service prices, I mean $40 for ram install is insane its a 50 second job. Have more take home service cards for different things as peoples lack of patience at leaving computer behind and waiting when they buy one loses a ton of potential sales. Be more forceful in employees following the rules and doing their jobs. 90% of the time I was only one in tech who printed bin labels, take-a-tickets, straightened aisles, or left notes for other techs when had to leave/store closed for the next tech to know what to do. Be more open in redefining what type of store Office Depot is, in my town it is a tech store since its only place to buy a lot of the tech we have. The only problem is, as I was constantly reminded by management, that we are an office supply store and we never had any tech. At most we only had 2 or 3 internal hard drives, 2 graphics cards, 1 sound card, and never had accessories for the things we sold. We would sell computers with DVI-D ports but vga adapters with DVI-I ends, no USB 3.0 cables although tons of stuff used 3.0, etc.