Blasted Economy

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist-III in San Ramon, CA
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist-III in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the other employees were pretty swell. The managers were all friendly, intelligent and relatively accessible.

Cons

It's a crumby retail job I got to make some money while looking for a regular 9-5 job, and SPOILER ALERT the public sucks. If you don't want to end up totally misanthropic, stay out of retail. After a time, I was promoted to sort-of manager, and I can say that for what the company expects out of it's cashiers on up to management, the compensation is VERY LOW.

Advice to Management

Better pay means happier employees, more productivity etcetera. Perhaps, and I imagine this goes for most big retail stores, have policies created by people with actual retail experience, not MBAs who've never worked directly for the public.

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

Don't Reward Hard Work

Current Employee - CSS-1 in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - CSS-1 in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy but deffinitely not fun

Cons

Bad Management, Little possibility to move up, terrible pay

Advice to Management

my managers were alright, the set-up of the company is just terrible

Its an ok job if you don't have bills.

Current Employee - CSS-1 in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - CSS-1 in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's easy work if youre hired on as a CSS, you basically just help customers.

Cons

The pay could be much better. YOu'd be very lucky to start off with 8+ dollars per hr. You are pressured into using high pressure sales tactics to sell items via the ARC-3 process. The arc 3 process is basically recommending 3 products, cross selling (if you sell a printer ask if they need paper or ink with it) and closing the sale ( asking the customer "would you like me to bring this up t the register for you). Then after you've done that you are pressured into selling protection plans on all devices sold. The worst part is the use of the radio system. Every single last cutsomer that comes into the store has to be called out and basically stalked around the store to "assure they get what they need." It ends up just being a nuisance for the customer. Another con is that it is basically impossible to move up. If you want to move up, youd have to be there for 5 plus years.

Advice to Management

Don't take your employees for granted. Recognize their effort and hard work.