Office Depot

www.officedepot.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

Micromanagement run amok, metrics-driven like call center work only worse - AVOID

Former Employee - Logistics Associate in Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Logistics Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Office Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seems like steady employment and the assistant managers for the most part were pretty reasonable people.

Cons

Just about everything I have come to expect from most retail jobs. The starting pay is starvation level, and the opportunities to move into full-time are practically nonexistent. Moreover, the store director was a uber-micromanaging tyrant with no respect for the newer associates and had no concept of professionalism. Made up rules not in accordance with the handbook like demanding doctor's note for a single absence due to illness. Unreasonable expectations due to new ISCE program.

Advise your store directors that they have to follow company policies too, not just the associates. Stress professionalism much more stringently.

1633 Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot (View Most Recent)

This company just does not care about its employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Cajon, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Cajon, CA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A part time job to put food on your table when there are no other jobs out there.

Cons

Minimal raises, overworked, does not promote from within, horrible management, just an all around horrible job.

Promote from within. Do not go out there and recruit a manager who has never worked at office depot! there are plenty of people who already know the system that you can promote!

Not a very positive work environment

Current Employee - CSS-II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CSS-II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people (for the most part)
    flexible hours
    willing to work around school schedule.

Cons

There is WAY TOO MUCH micromanaging going on in the company right now. When working on the morning freight, we have to call out every two minutes on our progress with the freight. Freight must also be done in an exact procedure. If you walk an item to the other end of the aisle, you WILL get yelled at. Instead, you must wheel the entire cart down the aisle even if it is for only one item.

DEPOT (Drop Everything, People Over Tasks) Time is absolutely ridiculous. Customers are important, and they should be the focus of the business. However, it is not always busy during DEPOT Time, which is from 12 pm to 4 pm. More often than not, associates are standing around doing nothing, because there is no tasking allowed between those hours. I am also a technology associate, and nothing bothers me more than when I have to tell a customer that I can "absolutely fix their computer, however I am not allowed to work on your computer until after 4 pm." If it is really supposed to be People Over Tasking, then we should be allowed to provide the computer services FOR THE CUSTOMER.

This new ISCE Program is an absolute joke. Every customer must be called out over the radio every few minutes. It is like we are stalking the customers. Several customers have told me that they feel like they are treated as more of a statistic than a customer. We have to count every single customer that comes into the store, and compare that number to the total number of register transactions to obtain our "conversion rate". If a customer comes into the store and does not make a purchase, the management becomes irate. There is a huge pressure to sell a customer several items, even if they do not need the item. For example, a customer might not need Microsoft Office to go with their new computer, but I will get my ass reamed if a customer does not purchase the additional software.

The creepiest part of the new program is the fact that corporate managers, as well as other store managers will randomly sit in their cars in the parking lot for hours at a time doing nothing but listening to the associates in the store communicating over the radio. This is a new corporate policy.

As an employee, I feel like I am expendable and not valued. Multiple times per week we are reminded how easily we can be replaced. "If you are unable to attend the training this week, you will not work here next week." "If you do not greet customers by asking them what brings them in to Office Depot, you will not work here." I feel like the company would rather have a puppet or a robot than an actual person working for their company.

Drop the ISCE Program. It will hurt business more in the long run than it will help. I know personally that my store has already lost customers who have been coming in for years due to the new changes. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Stop making changes for the sake of making changes. Treat your associates like people, and not like they are expendable. Treat customers like people, and not like numbers.

There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot