There are newer employer reviews for Office Depot

This company just does not care about its employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Cajon, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in El Cajon, CA

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A part time job to put food on your table when there are no other jobs out there.

Cons

Minimal raises, overworked, does not promote from within, horrible management, just an all around horrible job.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Do not go out there and recruit a manager who has never worked at office depot! there are plenty of people who already know the system that you can promote!

Other Employee Reviews for Office Depot

Not a very positive work environment

Current Employee - CSS-II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CSS-II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Office Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people (for the most part) flexible hours willing to work around school schedule.

Cons

There is WAY TOO MUCH micromanaging going on in the company right now. When working on the morning freight, we have to call out every two minutes on our progress with the freight. Freight must also be done in an exact procedure. If you walk an item to the other end of the aisle, you WILL get yelled at. Instead, you must wheel the entire cart down the aisle even if it is for only one item. DEPOT (Drop Everything, People Over Tasks) Time is absolutely ridiculous. Customers are important, and they should be the focus of the business. However, it is not always busy during DEPOT Time, which is from 12 pm to 4 pm. More often than not, associates are standing around doing nothing, because there is no tasking allowed between those hours. I am also a technology associate, and nothing bothers me more than when I have to tell a customer that I can "absolutely fix their computer, however I am not allowed to work on your computer until after 4 pm." If it is really supposed to be People Over Tasking, then we should be allowed to provide the computer services FOR THE CUSTOMER. This new ISCE Program is an absolute joke. Every customer must be called out over the radio every few minutes. It is like we are stalking the customers. Several customers have told me that they feel like they are treated as more of a statistic than a customer. We have to count every single customer that comes into the store, and compare that number to the total number of register transactions to obtain our "conversion rate". If a customer comes into the store and does not make a purchase, the management becomes irate. There is a huge pressure to sell a customer several items, even if they do not need the item. For example, a customer might not need Microsoft Office to go with their new computer, but I will get my ass reamed if a customer does not purchase the additional software. The creepiest part of the new program is the fact that corporate managers, as well as other store managers will randomly sit in their cars in the parking lot for hours at a time doing nothing but listening to the associates in the store communicating over the radio. This is a new corporate policy. As an employee, I feel like I am expendable and not valued. Multiple times per week we are reminded how easily we can be replaced. "If you are unable to attend the training this week, you will not work here next week." "If you do not greet customers by asking them what brings them in to Office Depot, you will not work here." I feel like the company would rather have a puppet or a robot than an actual person working for their company.

Advice to Management

Drop the ISCE Program. It will hurt business more in the long run than it will help. I know personally that my store has already lost customers who have been coming in for years due to the new changes. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Stop making changes for the sake of making changes. Treat your associates like people, and not like they are expendable. Treat customers like people, and not like numbers.

Blasted Economy

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist-III in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist-III in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Office Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the other employees were pretty swell. The managers were all friendly, intelligent and relatively accessible.

Cons

It's a crumby retail job I got to make some money while looking for a regular 9-5 job, and SPOILER ALERT the public sucks. If you don't want to end up totally misanthropic, stay out of retail. After a time, I was promoted to sort-of manager, and I can say that for what the company expects out of it's cashiers on up to management, the compensation is VERY LOW.

Advice to Management

Better pay means happier employees, more productivity etcetera. Perhaps, and I imagine this goes for most big retail stores, have policies created by people with actual retail experience, not MBAs who've never worked directly for the public.